Export Animation Question

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

trancos

Export Animation Question

Post by trancos »

I think Quicktime looks good but the file size is too big, when i combine the clips in Premiere the result is a great file. I can use Divx and other formats, can you recommend me one.

nobudget

Post by nobudget »

That depends on your required use. For longtime storage I'd recommend DV and transfer it to a DV tape, if you might want to edit it further at a later stage. 3,5 MB (MegaBytes) per second.

If you probably will not edit the result again you can use Mpeg2 (DVD) compression. There are many bitrates possible but you can put 1 to 2 hours on a single layer DVD in good quality.

For internet use you can use DivX, WMV (Microsoft) at your required bandwidth. Real and Quicktime are possible too. 128Kb ISDN downloads quick but has a low quality, 512 Kb is quite good and about 1Mb is very good for internet but takes a long time to download on slower connections. 512 and 1024 are really meant for ADSL, Cable or Glasfiber (which I have now, 10Mb down AND up, boy I am lucky :D )

So first decide the usage and then compress/export to your choice.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I agree with musajoe, .FLV is a pretty good looking format with comparatively small file sizes. In another thread, he'd recommended the Riva video encoder (to turn your "regular" video into Flash video). I tried taking an 800x600 uncompressed .avi, and compressing with a number of solutions. The uncompressed file was something like 700 megs. The smallest decent looking file I could get with quicktime was (and I didn't try every single codec) about 28 megs. That was with Sorenson 3. I didn't like the MP4 at all. As an .AVI but using Windows .MP4, I got to, if I remember correctly, 18 or 20 megs with DivX 5 and round about 14 megs with the latest build of Xvid. But it got down to 4 or 5 megs in FLV, and still looked pretty damn good. The problem with FLV files is that they won't play directly in the Flash player from a web address. At least thats the case since I use Firefox, and have refused to open IE for months. However, I did find a really simple way to stream them on this page @ VideoSpark.com.;
If you render you're .FLV at 320x240, and simply replace the references in the Index.HTML file to the .FLV file (all of them, there are several) itt works just fine. I'll probably be working on my contest entry until the last moment, but I'm pretty sure thats how I'll publish it. It's only in the last few months that I've gotten acess to a broadband connection, so I'm still really concious of making as much as possible accesible by them that don't..

--Brian
HBK

Post by HBK »

nobudget wrote:That depends on your required use. For longtime storage I'd recommend DV and transfer it to a DV tape, if you might want to edit it further at a later stage. 3,5 MB (MegaBytes) per second.

So what you mean is export the Moho project to Quicktime.... and then from Quicktime you can export the project to DV tape right?
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Well, yes and no. My approach is perhaps not the most standard but that's the story of my life. I'm not a big Quicktime user, but since Moho works well with Quicktime and does not support avi other than the VideoForWindows standard I export my animations to uncompressed Quicktime files and then convert them to other formats, usually DV compression and DVD mpeg2 compression.

There are different DV codecs, quality is different but in general it is a very good method that allows editing since it is always frame-based.
DVD/Mpeg2 is not frame based and uses less space as a result. In general DV video should be better but in animation different rules can apply. I noticed on a logo animation with hard lines that the DVD file was sharper than DV. The DV color sampling is not brilliant unfortunately.

To make a long story a bit longer, I export uncompressed Quicktime from Moho and convert to DV and DVD for storage. There are no "right" answers, just preferred techniques.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I have a similar work flow to nobudget. I'll export as either individual frames (png for instance) or Quicktime Animation codec at Best. QT Animation isn't uncompressed but it's considered a lossless compression scheme. In other words, it makes smaller files with no noticable compression at the best setting, much like LZW compression on a tiff file.

I almost always rework the images in After Effects and then export to Windows Media DV (you could substitute Quicktime DV if you're on the Mac). I take the footage into Premiere, re-synch audio, edit, and then output my export codecs (DVD, DV for tape, Quicktime and WMV for the web).

The bottom line is that you want to keep your footage at as high a quality as you can given the space that you've got, right up until you're putting out the finished product. Once a video is compressed, you'll never be able to get the information that was lost back out again.
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Encode to FLV for free with Riva. http://www.rivavx.com/?encoder