still having problems finding pictures

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ceciliaxx

still having problems finding pictures

Post by ceciliaxx »

hello there!
Eventhough reading the FAQ item on not finding images i still have problems.
I have a folder with some subfolders, one has all the images(PNG) others the anime files. I use them on my computer and on my porable hard disk. So I copied the whole folder. They look the same, but on my main computer, now if my porable disk is not on, it does not find the pictures. If the portable disk is on they appear, eventhough I open the folder located on the main computer.
What to do? What mistake do I make?? It is really driving me crazy!
Thanks, Cecilia
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Where is the PNG folder in relation to the AS file folder?

If the folder with the images is NOT in the same directory as the the AS files in the hierarchy, it uses an absolute path.

If the folder is up and down from from your Anime Studio files, it still uses the path from where you copied your files, the portable drive.

The image folder MUST be in the same folder with your AS files. You can't have an AS folder and an image folder. This would create a path that must "go up" the directory.

AS can only read down, not up. You would have an AS file folder, inside would be an image folder. Only way.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

There is an exception to this rule. If you use an external webdav server to store your image files, you can move your AS project file between different computers and still have your images show up if both computers have the same webdav server mounted as a volume (i.e. a storage device on your desktop).

A good example of a webdav server is .Mac (dotMac) by Apple Computer.

For more info on webdav, see http://www.webdav.org/
ceciliaxx

Post by ceciliaxx »

hello heyvern,
Hmm I have to work on this one...
I have a main folder which is called Moho. In it there are subfolders with groups of PNGs ( trees, birds, plants, all separated in folders)and mohofiles using these elements. I don´t know how to put images inside a mohofile, it is just an icon, when I click it opens moho and the specific file.

"You would have an AS file folder, inside would be an image folder. Only way."

To open all the pngs and put a moho file in the same folder would mean a total mess. So give me one more hint.

Thanks a lot, Cecilia
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Put the image files in a subdirectory relative to the moho file and Bob's your uncle.
ceciliaxx

bob

Post by ceciliaxx »

first of all thanks for replying, but consider me as someone mixing up words a bit... so i thought by having them both in one main folder they are relative...for me being new in all this I don´t really get it..sorry. Cecilia
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

"You would have an AS file folder, inside would be an image folder. Only way."

Not IN the FILE... as Rasheed said, the image folder is in the same folder as the file itself.

Whenever AS has to look OUTSIDE the folder of the file, it will create an absolute path.

Also if a file has an absolute path to an image it will always keep it unless you relink the image to the proper file location or...

... do a "save-as" of the AS file to the same folder that the image came from. or to a folder ABOVE the folder the image is in. Basically, resave the file so AS doesn't have to go UP the tree. It must be relative the location of the linked image file. You can't just save it to any old folder and expect AS to "find" it.

It can get... tricky... especially when you have totally forgotten where the heck you linked an image from after several months.

I find using a text editor helps. Changed a bazillion paths on a bazillion files using search and replace.

-vern
ceciliaxx

Post by ceciliaxx »

o.k. I will have organise really well indeed!
But still, programs like Adobe Premiere or After Effects do have some build in script; when it does not find a picture a window pops up asking for the source,
and often it finds the rest.
Would be a good thing to make a script like that for Moho!
Kinda userfriendly...
greetings, Cecilia
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am almost positive AS will have this feature at some future date. I think it is a pretty popular request and pretty standard behavior in most applications.

Trust me... "they" know about this. I just couldn't tell you where on the long list of future fixes it would be.
;)

-vern
7feet

Post by 7feet »

You might try Macton's "Relink Lost Images" script for that. I think that might be what you're looking for.

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2448
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Dagnabbit!

I missed that one!

Thanks 7feet!

-vern
ceciliaxx

Post by ceciliaxx »

thanks indeed!
At least they are working on it. Now let´s see if I can make it work,
Cecilia