File specification?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

idragosani

File specification?

Post by idragosani »

Is there a document that details the Moho/Anime Studio Pro file specification? I thought it might be handy to use something like Perl to generate procedural animation effects. I realize there is a lot that can be done with LUA also inside of ASPro, but, like with the Renderman API, being able to generate animations procedurally would be a neat thing to do, so one can use the full facilities of a language.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I've asked for one before, but it likely still doesn't exist. I've figured a lot of it out just studying (and messing with) the files, and you might be able to hack out a little more going through the Photoshop export script. It's a good idea. There aren't too many bits I couldn't figure out, but some just stumped me cold.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, I just listened to a podcast in which someone told that Google Maps didn't have a API until people started to hack a kind of API for themselves. This forced Google to create an adhoc API.

IOW The more people try to hack around restrictions and bugs in Anime Studio, the sooner an API will be released by e-Frontier, otherwise clever programmers will do it for them.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

7feet wrote:I've asked for one before, but it likely still doesn't exist. I've figured a lot of it out just studying (and messing with) the files, and you might be able to hack out a little more going through the Photoshop export script. It's a good idea. There aren't too many bits I couldn't figure out, but some just stumped me cold.
Yeah, my first thought was to perhaps write a Perl script to just parse the file and print out specifics of the file, like layers, objects, etc. That in itself is a good way to reverse engineer a fiel format.. then easy enough to write a wrapper API in C++, Perl, etc.
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Well so much of the core of what AS (never gonna get used to it, I liked the name Moho- that's my single statement) is in Lua, and except for a few tweaks all the API for that is public....

I'd love to see some of the core code (although I'd probably have to study a bit to understand it properly).

But that isn't the file spec. There might end up being one, I 'spect LM just didn't have the time. Thogh I hope he's going nuts on version 6. Even though I've wanted it, the utility of a complete file description is fairly small. o doubt useful, but not broad.

I didn't know that about the oogle API, but I think I've extended AS beyond it's intended capabilities, and I'll keep on doin' it! Lua is (IMO) just so purty, if it was another language I likely would have gave up.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

7feet wrote:Well so much of the core of what AS (never gonna get used to it, I liked the name Moho- that's my single statement) is in Lua, and except for a few tweaks all the API for that is public....

I'd love to see some of the core code (although I'd probably have to study a bit to understand it properly).

But that isn't the file spec. There might end up being one, I 'spect LM just didn't have the time. Thogh I hope he's going nuts on version 6. Even though I've wanted it, the utility of a complete file description is fairly small. o doubt useful, but not broad.

I didn't know that about the oogle API, but I think I've extended AS beyond it's intended capabilities, and I'll keep on doin' it! Lua is (IMO) just so purty, if it was another language I likely would have gave up.
Yeah, gotta sit down and learn Lua myself and start writing my own extensions as well. Looks like Crashcode has done a lot of good utilities already.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Yeah, crashcode's got some good stuff, Fazek's stuff is invaluable as well. Lua can read like psuedocode, theres a few particular bits to learn but if you can code, you're hooked up. I've done a lot with it, and I think I'm really a kinda crappy coder. My stuff is often clunky and stupid, but dammit it does the job. I'm learning some slickness, but who cares?
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

7feet wrote:Yeah, crashcode's got some good stuff, Fazek's stuff is invaluable as well. Lua can read like psuedocode, theres a few particular bits to learn but if you can code, you're hooked up. I've done a lot with it, and I think I'm really a kinda crappy coder. My stuff is often clunky and stupid, but dammit it does the job. I'm learning some slickness, but who cares?
I know enough languages it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to figure things out... just gotta fit the time in to do it... :-)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good grief!

If I could learn enough LUA as quickly as I did to do what I've done... anyone with an actual brain could run NASA with it!

;)

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:Good grief!

If I could learn enough LUA as quickly as I did to do what I've done... anyone with an actual brain could run NASA with it!

;)

-vern
Don't even joke about it -- apparently modern mobile phones have more memory AND processing power than the original Lunar Module...!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

NASA as in "Never A Straight Answer"? ;) :lol: