Layers not showing in 'bone mode'

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

Layers not showing in 'bone mode'

Post by AmigaMan »

This is confusing me...I copied the group folder for the front view of my character in order to create a back view (mainly by just deleting the facial features). You can see the front view and copied group folder here....

However, in bones mode none of the copied layers show up in the copied group folder as seen here...

It's very difficult to create a new view when unable to see the previous one let alone set up the bones correctly. What am I doing wrong?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

What does bone layer 11 in the group layer PandaFront look like in Frame zero (you have only made a screenshot of Frame one)?

I think the vector layers in bone layer 11 don't have transparent fill and outline in Frame zero, because you filled and outlined them in Frame one.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks for looking at this Rasheed. This is what the bone layer in the front view folder looks like on frame 0.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I guess all I can do is try it again and see if I get the same result.
I am right in assuming I can copy an existing 'model' and just tweak it into a new one?

*EDIT
Well, it seems to have worked fine this second attempt so obviously I did something wrong, as usual, the previous time :oops:
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

AmigaMan wrote:Well, it seems to have worked fine this second attempt so obviously I did something wrong, as usual, the previous time :oops:
I'm glad it worked as expected the second time around.

--- my rant: ---
It might just have been a random hickup of the program. I had a similar experience with the Preference menu, would occured only once and never again thereafter. AS still has a lot of bugs in it (especially the Mac version) and it isn't as stable as many other programs I use. I'm used to the frequent lockups of the textboxes and the sudden unreproducable crashes since Moho 5 and, alas, Anime Studio isn't much better.

Moho for me has always felt like software in continuous beta development, for which you have to pay (a bad thing IMO). I usually dump such crappy software, but in this case there are no real alternatives that come even close to what you can do with Moho/Anime Studio. So I put up with the lock-ups and crashes. However, if and when AS Pro 6 comes out and it still performs as weakly as ASP5 does, I will not pay for an upgrade, or if I do, I will do so with a grunt, because I have no choice.

I'd rather have less features and more stability than the other way around. Or better: competing software, so Lost Marble is forced to write better software. Thumbs up for an open source version of Moho!
--- end ---
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks for making me feel better Rasheed, and you could be right, but I'm sure it's more likely down to my error somewhere along the line.

I've only had one crash in AS so far and I've used it a LOT over the last week or so having been off work. Though I know nothing about programming I guess the fact that one person is essentially responsible for this amazing software is quite an achievement. Microsoft produces unbelievably poor software IMO even with the vast resources they have available.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

AmigaMan wrote:Microsoft produces unbelievably poor software IMO even with the vast resources they have available.
But then M$ has nothing to do with innovation, but rather with control. They want to control everything, even the user experience. Because you can't control everything, the result is poor performance and a computer resource hog.

Regarding Moho/Anime Studio, I agree that one person has done a descent job of developing something amazing, but now AS is supposed to become mainstream and more programmers are alotted to the maintenance of AS, bug removal should be priority number one. Priority number two should be better performance through the use of hardware acceleration.

No new features please, until the bugs are removed and the rendering speed of even the largest vector and 3D models is acceptable.

And BTW good written software doesn't crash with normal use, because it has been tested as beta software and the responsible bugs have been removed. It has been tested with a wide range of computer setups and with a selected group of beta testers.

I agree this is usually not the case with shareware, but then, Anime Studio isn't shareware anymore, as Moho used to be (unlimited time use of the demo mode).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I agree, but testing is something I really can't expect from a one-developer-business. I mean real testing now, on all the different platforms, with all the possible configurations ... that's a really time-consuming process.

Hopeflly efrontier will spend the necessary amount of money into serious testing before shipping out the next version.