why is anime studio incomplete compared to Moho??

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ceciliaxx

why is anime studio incomplete compared to Moho??

Post by ceciliaxx »

Hi, I am new on this site.
I just bought Anime Studio, but used to work with Moho.
I make cut-out animation using hand made drawings scanned and layerd as psd-files. But in Moho I always have to convert to PNG.
And for me it is a pain to import all these separate images.
A program like After Effects is good, but Moho has this lovely boning!!
Was hoping that Anime would be more developped for cut-out but checking out this site it seems to have some stuff missing: no mare layer-rotating!!
No more Onion-Skin?? No real importing of psd-files?
What a drag!
I am right or wrong?
Thanks, Cecilia
ceciliaxx

is this actual or old?

Post by ceciliaxx »

Foun this looking around a bit, but for me that is hard stuff. Does Anime have it included? I read something but I am wondering if the normal Animee can do it (importing psd-files)

Here's the easiest way to work with Photoshop and Moho. I whipped up a little export script for Photoshop that generates a PNG file for each layer, and a .moho file to tie them all together. You can get it here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/downloads/Exp ... 20Moho.jsx

Cecilia says bye
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

You're both right and wrong... Anime Studio Pro has all these thngs, but the smaller less expensive version of Anime Stiudio may not...
idragosani

Re: why is anime studio incomplete compared to Moho??

Post by idragosani »

ceciliaxx wrote:Hi, I am new on this site.
I just bought Anime Studio, but used to work with Moho.
I make cut-out animation using hand made drawings scanned and layerd as psd-files. But in Moho I always have to convert to PNG.
And for me it is a pain to import all these separate images.
A program like After Effects is good, but Moho has this lovely boning!!
Was hoping that Anime would be more developped for cut-out but checking out this site it seems to have some stuff missing: no mare layer-rotating!!
No more Onion-Skin?? No real importing of psd-files?
What a drag!
I am right or wrong?
Thanks, Cecilia
Which version of Anime Studio do you have? Anime Studio Pro has the same feature set as Moho 5, otherwise the non-Pro has a lot fewer features (and the prices is a lot lower).

If you have a licensed copy of Moho you should grab your FREE upgrade to Anime Studio Pro before September 30!

http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/ ... duct_22310
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
myles

Post by myles »

Onion skins, alas, were excluded from the standard version.

Even the base version of Anime Studio should have layer rotation.

Moho never had PSD import - that script you pointed out was a Photoshop export script (from Photoshop into Moho format). There is also a similar Photoshop export script (to Anime Studio format) included with Anime Studio - check the Extra Files folder.

If you have the Pro version you can also try a multiple file import script - see the scripts by janimatic and 7feet in this thread.
A script like this could possibly be converted to a tool script for use by Anime Studio (standard) users.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Good idea, there, Myles. Only took a second, so here it is:

http://www.sharemation.com/MoreMohoB/To ... 20TOOL.zip

just unzip into you (installation folder)>Scripts>Tool folder. That should work.
myles

Post by myles »

Very nice, and very handy for Pro users too.

Thanks, Brian! And thanks Julien, for starting this script!

Regqards, Myles.
-- Groucho Marx
hereticartist

Post by hereticartist »

7feet wrote:Good idea, there, Myles. Only took a second, so here it is:

http://www.sharemation.com/MoreMohoB/To ... 20TOOL.zip

just unzip into you (installation folder)>Scripts>Tool folder. That should work.
Just a question... What does this script do?
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Allows you to import the contents of a folder into a group layer, with each file being imported to it's proper type of layer - e.g. images or video go into image layers, Vector files would go into vector layers, etc.

Which just made me realize... The standard version of AS doesn't include group layers, does it? Well, I could just modify the script to import them into Bone layers for that version. They're just more complicated group layers anyway, and it's likely where people would often want the layers to end up anyway. Don't wan't the script to throw an error. If this is the case, someone let me know and I'll fix it pronto.

Myles - I've actually been converting a few of the menu scripts that I use a lot to tool scripts to give me easier access. I did the same with the (much more functional) version of my mixer script that I'll put up in a bit, few more tweaks to go. For that matter, I was thinking of changing it again to a button tool script that would open a non-modal dialog, so the little mixer function window can stay open no matter what else you're doing (a la Fazek's "Print Values" script. Good trick, that. Had always wondered how to do it.).
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Cecilia,

Here is the comparison chart for Anime studio standard and the pro version.

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/animestudio/compare

The pro is pretty much what the last verion of Moho was.

there is also an export script for psd files for photoshop, it claims (for me) to be an after effects script - maybe because i have after effects installed but it is for exporting from Photoshop to anime studio.

the script is in the "extra files" folder of your anime studio folder.
myles

Post by myles »

7feet wrote:Myles - I've actually been converting a few of the menu scripts that I use a lot to tool scripts to give me easier access. I did the same with the (much more functional) version of my mixer script that I'll put up in a bit, few more tweaks to go. For that matter, I was thinking of changing it again to a button tool script that would open a non-modal dialog, so the little mixer function window can stay open no matter what else you're doing (a la Fazek's "Print Values" script. Good trick, that. Had always wondered how to do it.).
Interesting - with all this useful scripting stuff, Anime Studio/Pro might need a separate customisable script toolbar. :)
Thanks for the tip about Fazek's script, I must check it out (I'd wondered about non-modal dialogs too), and thanks again for the updated image multi-import script.

Regards, Myles.
-- Groucho Marx
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Wow, that's a really good idea. Theres no option (that I'm aware of, whipping through the scripting ref) to drop images into a dialog, but it would be easy enough to make persistent dialog windows for specialized sets of tools (or menu scripts for that matter) by name. That could be handy. There aren't many keys that aren't normally assigned, but some of the punctuation and function keys aren't as standard and could be used to easily pop up stuff you need fast. Hmmm. Always something you never thought of.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just a caveat: while assigning keyboard shortcuts, alwasys bear in mind that non-US keyboards and Mac keyboards have a much different layout especially in special characters and punctuation. It's always a pain in the ass to find essential functions, like zooming in or out, assignt to square brackets (this is an actual example from a well-known program) - they don't exist on a german Mac keyboard.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Of course, this script will not work on Macs, because of a bug (no import of import of image files possible, other than through the import image menu). See also:
ceciliaxx

psd-files etc

Post by ceciliaxx »

oh thanks so much for replying !!
I did buy the light version. It is the same price as Moho, so I am not so happy with he split-up. I used to work with a demo version, I am totally fresh in it.
Bad luck then... will have to upgrade it soon...
So only then i can check out all this.
The element of boning is unique though.
Bye, Cecilia