CROPPING

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DVTVFilm

CROPPING

Post by DVTVFilm »

How does one CROP a Image Layer and or a Folder/Layer?

I don't mean scale or position (translation.) I want what I have to stay the same size and position.

I want to cut/crop off extraneous art/images and delete portions of them.

Can this be done in ASP5?
7feet

Post by 7feet »

You could draw a quick mask layer to eliminate things you don't want to see, kind of like a "garbage matte" when FX work was still done on optical printers and animation stands. It can be rough, it just needs to exclude the trash.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I believe making is what you'll want to look at...
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

great---i hope it is as simple as making a garbage mat in FCP
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Group layer with the image layer and the mask below it (order not strict, but much easier that way - some idiosycracities), set the layer for masking(reveal all? Hide all? Can never really remember, masking has always messed me up and I have a block on remembering it proper), image layer to "mask this layer", vector to mask and hide. Not too bad.

But similar to the old school way. Once you get the order of setting up mattes, your good. It's like bipack, just easier.
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

I thought I had discovered a way to easily crop in Anime Studio Pro, but I can't rediscover it, so maybe I was dreaming. I thought I had accidentally cropped the edge of a photo a few weeks ago. Maybe not.

Looks like masking is the way to go. Ugh, I avoid masks because I find them hard to understand in Moho/Anime Studio Pro. I keep making the same mistakes over & over.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9
Samb

Post by Samb »

you're making a mistake if you don't use masks ;)
masks are one of the usefuls things in video and animation tools.
and anime studio is REALLY powerfull in masks. you can make a normal vector layer, say AS it's a mask, apply a blur-layer-effekt and you got a blurred mask.
extrem cool for light and other effects :)
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

Oh, I use 'em .... when I must. After over an hour of messing with the masking example Genete showed me [in a thread with a subject line called only, "masking"], I still couldn't make it work as described. I wasn't sure if that was because I was masking an image, or because there's a bug, or just because it's quite confusing. I must have double-clicked the same 3 layers 1000 times.
-=-
OSX 10.4.9
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Some masking does not show correctly in preview. You must RENDER to see the correct results in some cases.

-vern
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

That may be what was happening. Thanks for that! I also re-learned something I forgot since, oh, 2 years ago: masking doesn't show up properly while one of the layers being masked, or the mask layer, is selected. I must select the masking group layer, or a layer outside of that.
-=-
OSX 10.4.9