Moho
62%
Anime Studio Pro
38%

Total votes: 13
erik

Anyone buying the other software..?

Post by erik »

Us Moho users get a few other e frontier titles for a lower price. Did anyone buy one of these? Do you recommend one?

Erik
idragosani

Re: Anyone buying the other software..?

Post by idragosani »

erik wrote:Us Moho users get a few other e frontier titles for a lower price. Did anyone buy one of these? Do you recommend one?
I've been thinking of getting Manga Studio EX.
moorsel

Post by moorsel »

I purchased Manga Studio EX
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

Actually I would like to have some recommendations too!

I was thinking on the Manga product, I see it works with vectors too.
Is it a good companion for AS? As, for instance, an enhanced drawing tool that will allow the characters drawn being imported into AS?
Or are the drawing tools in AS better or more suitable for it?

Will.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Have my eye on Manga Studio when I can.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

wmartinez wrote:Actually I would like to have some recommendations too!

I was thinking on the Manga product, I see it works with vectors too.
Is it a good companion for AS? As, for instance, an enhanced drawing tool that will allow the characters drawn being imported into AS?
Or are the drawing tools in AS better or more suitable for it?
I get the impression Manga Studio isn't really a drawing tool in the same sense that Illustrator is... (the 'debut' version of Manga Studio doesn't support vector layers, BTW). Too bad AS doesn't import SVG yet, as it is becoming a vector art standard that most, if not not all, drawing programs support.
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

I picked up Manga Studio as it was something that was sitting in my wishlist for a while. $99 seemed like an unbeatable price. My previous best as a Poser user was about double that.

I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but I've very happy to have gotten it. Seems like a lot of things will be easier to do in Manga Studio than they would have been in PSD.

Someone said something about using Manga Studio as a storyboarding tool, which is one of the uses that interests me.

I'm also reading Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud - which is really an amazing book btw. Besides being (as it is) about comics, there are some things that he's said that have shed some light on how I'm looking at animation too.

So, besides being about comics it is about a lot more too... about perception, etc., etc. Recommended.
PixelDust

Post by PixelDust »

I got Manga Studio. Thought about getting it a few months ago - glad I waited! I'm using it to work on a storyboard at the moment for an Anime Studio project.

As for which title is better, Moho or Anime Studio - I like them both! :lol:
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

PixelDust wrote:I got Manga Studio. Thought about getting it a few months ago - glad I waited! I'm using it to work on a storyboard at the moment for an Anime Studio project.

As for which title is better, Moho or Anime Studio - I like them both! :lol:
Hi Pixeldust,

I'm just curious, how did you go with the large file and your usb key??

How you finding MS EX?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have my eye on a second copy of AS for the Mac... uh... when I'm brave enough to install Tiger.
;)

On that subject... I heard a rumor that AS runs on Panther? Is this true?

I always thought that a universal binary application for Mac would ONLY run on Tiger?

-vern
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi Heyvern,

After my hard drive crash a few days ago, i was thinking about linux. I wonder if that would have been an option if it had already been released.

Does a second copy fall into this price special for us?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'm hoping that at least I could get the $159 special price... or what ever that discount is... since I already have the full version for the PC.

It would be the "nice" thing to do.

-------------
Side bar story:

years ago I had a hell fit with Macromeda. Those ignorant bast... uh... those annoying money grubbing... miscreants... charged FULL PRICE for both Mac and PC versions of Director.

You had to have both to create stand alone players for each platform. Even if all you used one copy for was... 5 minutes to export a player... you had to pay the full $1200 or whatever it cost at the time. They wouldn't budge.

I pleaded... I sent them letters describing the benefits of a discounted dual licence... explaining why it was unfair, and cruel to charge full price for redundant software... they weren't having any of it. They had a guaranteed money maker.

So I got someone with a Win version to create a "stub" player for me and used that for ages.

-vern
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hmm...

Your side bar story is interesting..

However alot of their software comes in a hybrid form now, don't they? I know Adobe OWN them now ..but my girl bought the creative edition thingy as she was doing some web thing.. she said flash (maybe the other software?) has a windows version as well...she uses a mac.

but in this day of online activation... i wonder if it was possible now.

Director... does it still exist? Or has it now part of Flash pro?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Director still exists, but even I who preferred it over flash haven't used it for serious work for years now. Part of an explanation would be that most applications wan't to go online, and there Flash is the leader through its small files and the nearly 90% installed base of their player/plugin. So Director has to resort to its starting point: being a damn good authoring tool for CD-ROM.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There are very few companies who provide dual platform use anymore.

Hash's Animation:Master is one.

I honestly can't think of any others... at least none since I started to actually use a Mac AND a PC a lot more and have a need for this.

My feeling is... they should treat it like part of the EULA. If you have two systems you can use both, just not at the same time... so you can't "sell" your windows version to someone else.

I will never switch entirely to the PC. I have all my licences on the Mac... and I REFUSE to buy two copies of ANY progr.....

... uh... er...

Okay... Anime Studio is not specifically a part of my outrage. It's a bit cheaper... AND they already gave me a "free" copy as far as I'm concerned.

Although... I still feel they should also give this type of consideration.

For instance... Photoshop would, in the past anyway, look on a network for another copy with the same SN. If found, it wouldn't load.

If you had a home network, this was fine. I could work on the computer upstairs, and then work on the other Mac downstairs... or work on the laptop... I had the same SN... but no worries about violating Adobe (vilolate in the legal sense... I would still like to "violate" them sometimes).

I was only one person... I couldn't be in two places at once.

This should cover TWO platforms, or at a minimum a 50% or less discount. I can't see how these companies will charge full price for the same code.

There is no logical reason to keep both platforms code as FULL PRICE if the customer owns one already.

They don't... "start from scratch" when coding do they? I mean... in general the R&D is cross platform... a majority of the code is cross platform. One of those two versions is not worth buying twice.

I wish we could do away with this... cross platform tax. It just... doesn't make any sense to me.

Too late now. I am sure like MM with director, many companies count platform switching as a potential money maker.

rant over. So sorry.

-vern