BOOK???

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DVTVFilm

BOOK???

Post by DVTVFilm »

Since there is no MANUAL with AnimeStudio--- Is there a BOOK on the market one can buy that that details the program in a lot more depth than what the "help" html does?
sacrejacques

Post by sacrejacques »

Not that I konw of
Fahim

book for AS

Post by Fahim »

No there isn't a book currently available, we anticipate AS to be a popular program, and in the next couple of months we'll evaluate the creation of a book for it. The only issue is that it will take some time.

Fahim
Ashe Raven

Post by Ashe Raven »

I am propsing a book to follow up on my rcent how to draw manga books. There has so far not been a book on how to create your own anime, and now Anime Studio has come out I now have a package that is both affordable and easy to get to grips with to teach people how to begin animating like the Japanese do for anime.
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Sounds fine, but I'm more interested in a highly detailed book about this program, since there are many "How to Draw Japanime" books already out there. I want to know more about MASKING, PARENTING BONES, SWITCH LAYERS, LIP-SYNC and the other features in Anime Studio 5 Pro that I'm having trouble with. The tut's enclosed are okay (still can't get the ONION SKIN tut to work for me...), but I need to read more to fully understand what's going on...
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

A proper book can be an expensive prospect, but I think it would be a great idea. Perhaps even if only as a downloadable e-book. I think a book specifically tailored to AS but with some broader overview as well would be a cool thing.

As Fahim says, as AS becomes more popular, perhaps this will become a possibility.

Please though, let's make it a useful book and not one of these "Anime Studio Revealed" slap-together jobs. Those slap-together jobs (aka rehashes of the manual) that one sees on bookstore shelves sometimes, while pretty to look at, are oftentimes nothing more than surrogate manuals for the warez types.

Practical Poser 6 is an example of a well respected and highly useable book, imo.

Also as an example, the Carrara 5 Pro Handbook is a pretty good introductory book. The reason I mention it is that it includes a lot of contributions from various high profile users detailing various sections. Which must have made it a bit easier for the author - not having to write 'everything' while also offering a broader spectrum of experienced input.

You're already well on your way towards that with AS in terms of the content developers. You could reach out to those contributors, for example and ask them for further input. Including tutorials of how they created some ot that content, etc., etc.

A "real" book would be great as it could include a cd with examples, movies, etc. More of what's already provided now with AS. But perhaps a more realistic model would be something similar to what Toon Boom is doing with their ongoing series of how to e-books.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

http://www.lulu.com/

This is printing on demand and it is very scalable.
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

Hi All.

Actually, way before this forum was even created (under Moho name), there was a discussion in the Yahoo Group about creating a book for Moho and there was a call for collaborators. That was the fan club speaking, not an idea from Lost Marble, but he gave us his blessing.

Unfortunately, only one of the contributors offered some paragraphs on audio recording, that I remember. I was proposing at that time to create first the table of contents, and asked for ideas of what the application users would like to see in the book. Options were: A reference book, a learn by example book, and advanced tips and tricks book.

But then that was lost in oblivion. Although there was motivation and several colleagues sign their names, without plans, follow ups and real commitment the idea was doomed.

By then, I thought that creating a book with a CD containing the demo version, and making it a learn by example using the app book, will hook more newbies that, at large, will make the app more popular. Following that idea, creating a book as a way to put animators in contact with A.S. may be feasible.

Editing a book with publishers is a little difficult. They always try to see the business part, and require a good name in writing, a very good theme, and very good numbers to accept the publishing of the book. On-demand publishers like the one posted by Rasheed don't care about that, their costs are usually fulfilled with their services of editing and layering of the text, proof reading too. That means you need to invest some money up front. I don't know about lulu, the site says it is free, but I would read the small caps first.

That's my two cents. E Frontier may want, as the publishers, to wait for better numbers before investing in a book, Forum members may want to create one using several contributors (why not) but may need the blessing of E Frontier (to write about its product, not sure about those copyright policies).

Will.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

wmartinez wrote:On-demand publishers like the one posted by Rasheed don't care about that, their costs are usually fulfilled with their services of editing and layering of the text, proof reading too. That means you need to invest some money up front. I don't know about lulu, the site says it is free, but I would read the small caps first.
I haven't tried lulu myself yet, but I believe the point of lulu is that all the costs are for the buyer (i.e. reader) and lulu takes a bit of the money for its service (which is reasonable).

The point of lulu is that many publishers only give a marginal portion of the proceeds to the author, while lulu only takes a marginal profit to pay for its services, so it's the other way around than with traditional publishers. This means that writers can even profit from a publishing size of one book. Lulu can also be used for creating calendars, family albums, dissertations and thelike, not just for fiction or non-fiction books.

Simply do a Google search for "lulu experience" and you'll find enough stuff to read through, both positive and negative, and, of course, read the fine print on the lulu site, as you wrote.

wmartinez wrote:there was a discussion in the Yahoo Group about creating a book for Moho
Of course, the creator of that Moho Yahoo Group states in his groups descriptions:
An unofficial forum for users of Moho, the 2D animation software from Lost Marble.

The majority of Moho-related discussion has now moved to the official forum at Lost Marble - see http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/
Just to make it clear for those who might think there was a new resource for Moho/Anime Studio they didn't know about.

A solution could be to scan through the Anime Studio Forum and see what kinds of problems users of the software have had. This would give us an idea what users want to know: general questions or more specific ones. We could include the former incarnation (Moho Yahoo Group) to get a broader database.

There are other solutions possible than the traditional book, like an Anime Studio podcast and website, in which general and specific animation items are discussed by the users. This kind of user generated content is great for promoting a product, especially via iTunes and gorilla marketing techniques (i.e. marketing on a small budget).
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Rasheed wrote:gorilla marketing techniques
Rasheed, your English is great, but for future reference, it's "guerilla". A gorilla and a guerilla are two very different beasts...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Perhaps-- until a comprehensive book is published, a new category on this forum can be established called TUTORIALS--- a centralized place for all tutorials to be posted. No question, no discussion, just tuts, so they're easy to find. Questions/discusssions are already handled appropriately throughout the forum. But a centralized Tutorial location would be appreciated (at least by me...)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

jahnocli wrote:
Rasheed wrote:gorilla marketing techniques
Rasheed, your English is great, but for future reference, it's "guerilla". A gorilla and a guerilla are two very different beasts...
:oops: slipped my mind. Thanks for correcting.
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

There is actually a section in this forum called Tips & Techniques. Scanning this section we may filter (select) a list of tips, elaborate on them a little bit, make a catalog and post them as PDF, even on a regular basis (monthly newsletter with tips and techniques for using AS).

For the tutorials idea: there are several tutorial out there too! Grouping them into a section sounds a good idea too. Of course, I don't know how this works with copyrights and all that stuff. If there is no problem, I think tutorials are welcome. (I use Wink for my tutorials, its fun and easy to use).

Will-.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I think, unless you want to do something free, who does the work and how is the profit divvied up? That's pretty fundamental, and now that the app is getting some proper exposure, something useful to discuss. one of the reasons (and I see a lot of people asking for them) that there aren't more full tutorials posted is that it's often a lot of work to make them and make them so they get the point across clearly. My working method is pretty scattershot, I try things until something works, sometimes relentlessly, and remembering the steps that worked afterwards can be a little difficult. Finding the useful generalizations for other folks is the trick.

I remember the group quite fondly, got a lot of good info out of that sucker, and remember waiting for the first beta of Moho 5 with baited breath. Wmartinez, perhaps a straight up call to renw that call for authors? If a reasonable structure for hooking them up when it's done could be worked out, I would be more than happy to contribute. There's more than a few users here who know the program inside and out and might contribute the time if it seemed like something might come of it. I would. Do you have editorial experience? Somebody has to define the guidelines (like style, not me, my ex said I have the graphic design sense of a naked mole rat) and provide a structure for the process. Maybe a new (Yahoo, whatever) group to hash it out? The potential is clear, the interest seems clear, and the potential to make a few hard-earned bucks is there for the people with the knowledge. I find that a lot of cool projects like this fall by the wayside because I have to pay the rent, but I've put the time into many if it seemed like there was a (speculative is fine, if its realistic)shot it might help keep a roof over my sorry ol' head.

I'm completely behind the idea of creating a book. Any other takers?
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

wmartinez wrote:There is actually a section in this forum called Tips & Techniques. Scanning this section we may filter (select) a list of tips, elaborate on them a little bit, make a catalog and post them as PDF, even on a regular basis (monthly newsletter with tips and techniques for using AS).

For the tutorials idea: there are several tutorial out there too! Grouping them into a section sounds a good idea too. Of course, I don't know how this works with copyrights and all that stuff. If there is no problem, I think tutorials are welcome. (I use Wink for my tutorials, its fun and easy to use).

Will-.
I'm all for having posted tuts centralized as well as a monthy AS newsletter wiih links to user tuts. Let's hope this is something the Forum Admin people will begin quickly. I've run into many issues with AS5Pro that are not covered in the "help guide" --which makes using this excelllent program quite frustrating for anything serious.