Differences between Anime Studio and Moho 5.4

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tonym

Differences between Anime Studio and Moho 5.4

Post by tonym »

What are the differences between Moho 5.4 does Anime Studio?

I don't want to miss appreciating any new improvements.

Tony M
toulouse2k

Post by toulouse2k »

With the exception of a lot of sample files (where you can learn by example) I have not found any changes in the basic program nor the GUI.
BA

Post by BA »

it would have been nice if they'd at least fixed it so that the program saves your window layout instead of resetting it in weird ways every time you open it.

sigh.....
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I've been looking around for a while now, but no, there doesn't seem to be anything changed except that there is now a startup file.
BA wrote:it would have been nice if they'd at least fixed it so that the program saves your window layout instead of resetting it in weird ways every time you open it.

sigh.....
My window layout is saved.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Well, there is the "Buy Content..." menu-item...
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Differences?
Moho 5.4 cost $99 and you could use it on any OS.
Anime Studio (Moho 5.4) costs $199.99 only works on one OS, plus you get lots of clip art that you will probably never use.

Anybody got an example of software that changed names and over doubled in price? Whew! :|
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's the big difference:

Moho was stagnating. If you think of developing Moho as a see-saw, it had gotten to the point where all the weight was on the sales and support side, and the coding side was being neglected. It was just too much work, but with not enough sales for me to hire a staff.

Anime Studio, on the other hand, will support future development, promotion, and marketing. We've already got people working on support, quality assurance, marketing, website, etc. It's looking like I may actually be able to write code again! And it's not just me - e frontier has some talented engineers as well.

So if you were totally satisfied with Moho and never had a need for any new features, then Anime Studio is probably of no interest. (I know from experience that there aren't many of you in this category.) On the other hand, if you want to see some of those feature requests make it into the product, then Anime Studio is the way that is going to happen.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Moho was an awesome animation program!!!

Nonetheless, I think you made a great decision to put Moho on the Anime Studio superhighway. I want this program to get better and better, faster and faster, regardless of what it's called. And anything that helps that happen has my support.

As awesome as Moho was, there were plenty of nifty things it couldn't do. And plenty of things that aren't easy enough (for me) to do.

I look forward to Anime Studio's first update!
And 2nd update!
And 3rd update!

One last thing: I like the addition of a Lite version. This Christmas, I plan to buy it for my 9-year-old daughter.

Keep up the good work, LostMarble, and good luck with the coding!

:)
Tony M
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I guess I was expecting that for the extra $100 and a new launch as a new name that as a minimum the software would have been first upgraded/improved to the equivalent of Moho 6.0.

I have to admit that at $199.99 I have a real tough time recommending the new AnimeStudio to anyone (it´s $99 Moho 5.4 in a shiney new box - but limited to one OS). Heck, how many times did I read in the forums here of people having trouble scraping up the $99 for Moho...and the free, basically unlimited, Moho demo sure helped lots of students try their hand at animation.

Well, that was the past. Good luck with your new business partners.

(I sure hope Adobe does not have the idea to double the prices on all its software it acquired from Macromedia.)
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Lost Marble wrote:It's looking like I may actually be able to write code again!
...And this is the best thing that could happen! CONGRATS!!! :D
Lost Marble wrote:On the other hand, if you want to see some of those feature requests make it into the product, then Anime Studio is the way that is going to happen.
EY! LM... and I hope you still keep in mind that ancient Feature Request list for all of we have been fighting here during all this years :roll: ...And, BTW... now that you seem to "show off" a lot about to have a TEAM, I hope you be prepared for a lot of new ones ;) ...BYE!

PS: ...THANK YOU for create tools!!! (and good luck too :))
DK

Post by DK »

Moho has just taken a giant leap forward. I assumed right from the start when the initial E-frontier announcement was made that this release of Moho was always going to be more of a rebirth than a rework. The world has Anime Studio and knows it. If they don't E-frontier are soon going to let them know. Those guys are a marketing monster and it's exactly what Moho needed. Just think of all the new users E-frontier is going to attract just from thier newsletter that already circulates around thousands. When they arrive they are going to need help and that's where we come in. This is one of the best forums around and it's about to get bigger so we need to do our part then Like Mike said, he can get back to code and yaay to that! Bring on AS 6!

D.K
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I'm downloading the new program right now. Thanks and congratulations!
myles

Post by myles »

Toontoonz wrote:I guess I was expecting that for the extra $100 and a new launch as a new name that as a minimum the software would have been first upgraded/improved to the equivalent of Moho 6.0.
It was made fairly clear from the beginning that this release would not be a feature upgrade.
Lost Marble wrote:We will also release a "professional" version, which will be similar to the software that's currently available from my site
Of course, as a registered Moho user, you're not even paying the extra $100, so in a way we've all been part of an extended "low price introductory period". :)
Toontoonz wrote:Heck, how many times did I read in the forums here of people having trouble scraping up the $99 for Moho
Ahh, but now people with limited budgets can have a full non-watermarked Anime Studio at half the cost - US$49.99. So the basics - all that you need to create character animation - is now half the price.
So this is actually a better deal for animators with limited budgets.

The only thing in the Pro version I think they might miss is onion-skins, which are certainly a convenience but not an absolute necessity.
The other Pro features - basically 3D, particles, styles, scripts, and actions - are great features, but none of them are essential to 2D character animation.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
myles

Post by myles »

Ramón López wrote:
Lost Marble wrote:It's looking like I may actually be able to write code again!
...And this is the best thing that could happen! CONGRATS!!! :D
I second that! Now, for my Christmas feature wishlist, I want ... :wink: :D

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Lost Marble wrote:Anime Studio, on the other hand, will support future development, promotion, and marketing.
Hi,

Congratulations on the release of Anime Studio! I've been pretty impressed with the tools in Moho and having a lot of fun with it. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next update for Anime Studio. Keep up the great work!

Best,

D.R. Greenlaw