Do I want poser?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DaleG

Do I want poser?

Post by DaleG »

I think I missed some type of deal with poser. Was there a free version of an older edition (poser 5 vs 6?) I think it changed to a deal for $20 with 10 dollar coupon for content? What type of content would I want? Is the deal still available? What does Poser software do? Can I use it along with Moho (anime)? Is it something that an amateur can use or is there a steep learning curve? Can I make a 3D type figure to animate in moho using photos to make it look like a family member? Are there features in 6 that will be must have once Ive bought 5 (and how much is an upgrade?)

(I think I reached the question limit for one post)

Thanks
myles

Re: Do I want poser?

Post by myles »

Hi Dale,

Yes, you did. Yes, v5 (v6 is the current version, I think). Yes, US$20 instead of the former US$250 pricetag. I don't know. No. 3D poseable human figures is the main feature, other content (animals etc) is also available. Possibly, either as a rendered image to cut up or through .obj export (may require v6). Yes, low to medium depending on which features you want to use but not too steep. I'm not sure - possibly by mapping a photo onto an existing 3D figure, Poser itself is not too great at original content creation which usually requires a separate 3D program, although some figures are setup with some facial morphing but I don't know if any of them come with the included content or you need to pay for extra content. I don't know - check out the new features such as toon outline rendering (US$129).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi guys,

Poser has a wide range of users but it depends if you would use any of them.
You could use it for storyboarding - stick some characters in, pose them, take a screen shot and import into your storyboard.

For previz. I saw an article on e-frontier that it was used to previsualise some scenes in the Jet Li film "the one".

for digitial artists and paper based artists - instead of hiring a model to pose for you, you could use one of the characters in the same extent. I think many fantasy artists use poser to pose a character and then draw over them (eg. in photoshop, etc)

or you can model a character in 3d package and import it into poser.

etc.

...gees...salesman push again..

sorry guys..
myles

Post by myles »

Thanks Patmals!

A poseable model can sometimes be useful creating 2D figures, particularly from different viewpoints.

Poser 5 (I don't know about the free version, but I assume so) also has hands-only models which could be posed, potentially useful when setting up hand switch layers in Anime Studio as hands are often difficult to draw.

There's an example of this in use here (not in a Anime Studio or a cartoony context, but it gives you some idea).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Thanks Myles,

the poser 5 (free version) is exactly as is my purchased version from eons ago..:)
But..i think it has been patched to the lastest version..so i will download it later (when the bandwith has calmed down)

very interesting link!

cheers!

And here are some Poser user stories

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poser/stories

and some sightings of poser use in film, tv, etc

http://www.e-frontier.com/article/artic ... 5?sbss=305
relik

Post by relik »

I use Poser extensively in pre-viz for animation, illustration, and video work, as well as for "final" output in some cases. It's primary value to me though, is in the wealth of fairly cheap third-party content available.

The time to create and rig much of the things that I can buy off the rack for Poser (or find as free) is far greater than I have on a lot of projects. You would need Poser to use the content as rigged, but because almost all of it is based on UV Mapped OBJ type files, it can be imported into most other 3D apps and rigged there (I do a lot in Lightwave that way).

Poser is largely used by illustrators, even though it's animation system is fairly powerful if you get used to it. Poser's animation tools are limited in respect to something like Lightwave, of course, but the price is very different as well.

I have not yet tested the free python script to export Poser content to Anime Studio, so I can't say as how that works. To the best of my knowledge however, it would be a static object and it could be "warped" in 2D by means of bones, but not really animated.

On the other hand, I've successfully imported videos of animations from Poser into Anime Studio and using the alpha channel in the rendered AVI, mixed them with "cartoon" elements.

If you are looking for cartoon style shading, there are some specialized shader kits available at http://www.runtimedna.com by Olivier Vinet. These utilize features of the Poser 6 Shader room (they are not Poser 5 compatible, I'm afraid) to create various kinds of toon rendering far better than the integrated "toon shading" functions, IMPO.-R
AllenC

Poser 5

Post by AllenC »

Hey All,

I purchased Poser5 a few days ago for $20, it had been offered FREE for short time and I missed that. The $20 deal was already out there for members of Content Paradise (which is a FREE membership).

I don't know much about Poser yet, I did take the model that shows up by default when you open the program, export it as an .Obj file and import it to a 3D Layer in Moho. It was a fun test, and worked.

The real deals for former Moho users upgrading were ones like getting Manga Studio EX for only $99. I don't know if you had to sieze on that at the moment of download or if it is still available to us. I'm still considering Manga Studio EX because I like creating comic strips as well. Maybe I'll dowload a trial of it first to check it out.

AllenC
relik

Post by relik »

I'm also an EX owner. There's a forum over at http://www.runtimeDNA.com for it as well. Not meaning to plug the site, extensively, but if the info's available.

EX for that price is a pretty good deal. Shame I already have it. :D -R
Patmals

Re: Poser 5

Post by Patmals »

AllenC wrote:Hey All,

I purchased Poser5 a few days ago for $20, it had been offered FREE for short time and I missed that. The $20 deal was already out there for members of Content Paradise (which is a FREE membership).

I don't know much about Poser yet, I did take the model that shows up by default when you open the program, export it as an .Obj file and import it to a 3D Layer in Moho. It was a fun test, and worked.

The real deals for former Moho users upgrading were ones like getting Manga Studio EX for only $99. I don't know if you had to sieze on that at the moment of download or if it is still available to us. I'm still considering Manga Studio EX because I like creating comic strips as well. Maybe I'll dowload a trial of it first to check it out.

AllenC
I will warn you now mate,

EX is over a GIG download!!

it was a fun download.

you see, the box version comes with 3 cds. 1 with the applications, etc. 1 with tones and stuff and the other has some sample comic data
PixelDust

Post by PixelDust »

I think the special offers are good until September 30th.

Also, the Manga Studio demo isn't 1 GB; it's 36.20 MB. The full version is 1 GB.

From what I can tell from the Content Paradise store, the $99 deal is a download version only. Is that true? I sure hope not, because I have dial-up at home and my USB key is only 512 MB.
DaleG

Post by DaleG »

Is the content that you purchase for Poser for windows only? I tried the free content download and it has mostly exec files that dont work on mac.

Do you have to specify your operating system when ordering content?
relik

Post by relik »

Not sure what content files you are referring to. Poser content usually comes in zip files, although depending on the vendor, some can come as .sit archives. If you could be more specific I might be able to answer the question.-R