toon boom or Moho...excuse me Anime Studio :-)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Azach75

toon boom or Moho...excuse me Anime Studio :-)

Post by Azach75 »

Not looking for a fight (but the community is very mature is i don't expect one) but why would i buy Moho instead of Toon Boom ?
The price increase of Modo (100% ???) means it's as expensive/cheap as Toon Boom Studio (they give away special offers like madmen, reducing the price to 200 bucks).

It's somewhat comparing oranges to apples considering the workflow but as a new 2d animator why would one go for Moho?
MrBunny

Post by MrBunny »

From what i understand the company that sells Anime Studio (Mojo), e frontier, and its sister company Content Paradise, usually have all kinds of specials and what not for their users, including discounts on other products and content, and sometimes even free content.

There are two version out now, Anime Studio which is ONLY $49.99, and Anime Studio Pro $199.99 and its only $149.99 if you get Manga Studio or if you get Poser (which http://www.contentparadise.com is giving away Poser 5 (ESD) absolutely free until the end of the day I think! So if you go and download Poser 5 you could get the 149 price on Anime Studio! -- you just have to setup a CP account, and add the Poser 5 to your cart and checkout, you can download it anytime.)

So actually the price is cheaper on the regular version, and Pro is worth every cent. Everyone I know loves Anime Studio. Give it a shot, you probably will too.

MrBunny
MrBunny

Post by MrBunny »

Poser is a nice program too = )
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I went to the Honda user forums and asked why I should buy a Honda instead of a Toyota since they were about the same price...

... funny... I got the same answer.

;)

-vern
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi Azach75,

I have both programs and the way animation is done on each are not comparable.
they are both great programs tackling animation in differeent ways.

Toon Boom takes a traditional, cel approach and is also capable of doing cut-out style animation.

Whereas Animation Studio, well..im sure you are aware of its approach.

Both are great and i want to incorparate both styles in the animation i am planning to do in the near future.
Azach75

Post by Azach75 »

I've seen the free poser add and actually downloaded it as well. I prefer building my own models though (i own Lightwave/Modo/Zbrush). A nice gesture none the less.

@heyvern
Everybody knows a Honda is better :-) (j/k)

Shame i didnt know the e-frontier thing earlier, ow i would have bougt Moho for 99 bucks. Paying the double price for the same version (Pro) feels uncomfortable. I mean, was Moho underpriced 100% or is it overpriced right now? And if i get TB for 200 instead of 300 i'm getting a more expensive app for less.

Which are all feelings ofcourse and has nothing to do with the greatness of both apps.

Ah well. i'll just keep an eye out then at both and see what AS Pro and TB 3.5 are going to do to convnce me.

thx all
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Hi Azach75,

Im awaiting TB3.5 aswell as ASPro (in its new shiny 'tin') :)

You did download the Moho demo before it changed over?

and the TB demo?

they are both very capable products with a different perspective eh?

I own some 3d stuff as well, but you know you can move your models you have made into posers character setup (i cant remember the exact name of it) and rig it and then export it to poser using the plugin - I THINK!

Have you tried the plugin with poser 5? it says its for poser 6 but its a python script.

I read they enhanced the script in 6..please let us know how the export works because i havent got e frontiers ASpro yet and not sure wether the export will work in Moho.
myles

Post by myles »

Azach75 wrote:I mean, was Moho underpriced 100% or is it overpriced right now? And if i get TB for 200 instead of 300 i'm getting a more expensive app for less.
I'm fairly sure Moho was seriously underpriced before, as has been discussed on this forum before, and I suspect Mike Clifton (Lost Marble) was running himself into the ground trying to keep it going.

My perspective (somewhat oversimplified to keep it brief):

I think if you prefer to work on or think of 2D animation as similar to 3D or puppets or perhaps claymation (with an internal armature=bones and replaceable heads for expressions=switch layers) then you would be happier with Anime Studio - first creating your characters then animating them.

If on the other hand you prefer to think of/work on 2D animation as a continuous re-drawing cel or flipbook process you would probably be happier with Toon Boom.

As I said, an oversimplification as there is some feature overlap. As Patmals says, some animators are going to want both tools in their toolbox.

As someone who is more of a hobbyist cartoonist than a tradiitonal animator and with a (limited) background in 3D I prefer to to create my characters just once then animate them, and thus I feel more comfortable using the-program-formerly-known-as-Moho. :)

As you said yourself, the workflow is apples and oranges, which is probably the most important factor to consider.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

While wer're at it, why not discuss further products in Anime Studio/Moho's field? It might may for an interesting feature comparison list later on.

Two items right off the bat are already heavily used throughout the industry... Adobe Flash (currently the most widely used vector-based animation tool in the industry) and Bauhaus Mirage Studio (currently the most widely used raster-based animation tool in the industry).

There's a lot of benefits to tools like these compared to AS, but they also have their weak points where AS excels.
8==8 Bones 8==8
BA

Post by BA »

in my opinion MohanimeStodio destroys Flash in many respects, and at $200 bucks is still a steal, less than 1/3 the cost of Adobe/Macromedia's $700 beast...
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You can't compare Mirage and Moho feature-wise. I use both, and decide which of them by the nature of the current job to be done. They complement each other which is a Good Thing.

To decide between both of them is only important to artists who want to use (or can afford) only one program, this of course has to fit their needs and their style as perfectly as possible.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

For those who feel... cheated by the new price...

Think of it this way...

You have a job. You feel you work really hard and don't get paid what you deserve.

Eventually after a long time of putting up with this you go to your boss, explain all the things you do... all of your skills and talents and demand a raise.

The boss reluctantly agrees.

You still do the same work... but now you get more money...

... AND they hire a cheap assistant who doesn't have the same skills but works for peanuts (Anime Studio Standard version).

-vern
jeremyq

Post by jeremyq »

I am in the process of downloading Poser 5. IT's taking ages!
How do I get the discount for Anime studio Pro? Was I supposed to add theses two products together at checkout? Or do I just purchase the Anime Studio Upgrade pack instead?
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Jeremy,
jeremyq wrote:I am in the process of downloading Poser 5. IT's taking ages!
The Poser offer seems to have attracted far more interest than anticipated - the server(s) currently seem to be struggling to cope with the volume of downloads.
jeremyq wrote:How do I get the discount for Anime studio Pro?
Oh, does the discount also apply to the free Poser offer? I'd assumed it was only for paid Poser owners.

The Buy Now button under "crossgrade" takes you to a form where you can put in your Poser or Manga Studio serial number. Try it wiith the serial number you got with Poser (I'm assuming you get a serial number with it).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

I think if you go and order the "upgrade from poser or manga studio" you have to give the serial number they supplied you when you "checked out" your free download of poser 5. check your email for it