Adjusting DPI for print?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Adjusting DPI for print?

Post by DK »

Is there a way of sertting the DPI in Moho? Does anyone know what the default DPI setting is?

Cheers
D.K
myles

Post by myles »

Hi DK!

According to my copy of IrfanView, none of the images created by Moho include DPI setting information.

You should be able to set the DPI of Moho output images using your favourite image manipulation software (e.g. individual file modification or batch conversion in IrfanView) or whatever software you are printing from.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Like many similar applications... Moho is pixel based.

To "convert" to print terminology... you don't change the "DPI" you change the number of pixels.

A 300 DPI file is the same as a 72 dpi file with lots more pixels.

If you have a Moho file that is... 800 x 600 pixels at 72 DPI... what size would that be to print? Depends. Leaving the file size as is... you could safely print that (without a ton of pixelization) at a size of 2.6 inches x 2 inches... not very big.

If you wanted say... 10" x 8" print size at 300 dpi... you would need a file that is 3000 pixels X 2400 pixels...

... you would set your Moho file to that resolution and do a render... you now have a file big enough and with enough resolution to print a 10 X 8 inch image at 300 dpi... which is a pretty good size for a nice clean output on most printers, and for any type of prepress involving LPI (another story).

A lot of "printers" (people not machines) are more interested in pixel dimensions rather than actual DPI. Pixel dimensions tell more about the image faster than... DPI and width/height.

If a printer has a photoshop image that he knows is 3000 x 2400 pixels in dimension he will know exactly how big that could be printed in a... newspaper... magazine... whatever.

When you download stock photos from those sites... the images are listed by resolution... low, medium, high. They are ALL 72 DPI... but each has a different pixel dimension... even though these images are used for print.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Vern and Myles,
That's interesting. A while ago I was doing some artwork for a printing company in greenland of all places. I was outputting my image files from Moho at horendously blown out image sized files thinking that would suffice without worrying about dpi. They would not accept anything other than artwork done at 600 dpi and made me do the job over and over again, ( till i decided to read up on dpi). That's when i realised that they could have simply converted the darn image in an instant themselves in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro etc???

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Cheers
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

That's very interesting.

Very shortsighted of them since they should know more about what was needed than you did.

Yes... all you do is open in Photoshop, set resample image to off, and change the resolution to whatever... the image size window will then show you how big in inches (or whatever) the image would be at that resolution. This is the "print" size... if it's too small it won't look good printed larger... you get pixelation... enlarged pixels.

You can upsize an image in Photoshop without too much trouble. The problem lies in the size of the pixels when you print. If you enlarge a small image in a page layout program... or by using the print dialog box, the PIXEL get BIGGER.

You always want to resize in Photoshop so the pixels won't show up in the print. The image might get a tad soft... depending on the enlargement... but sharpening can help.

Years ago when I was only doing print work, the printers were actually only concerned with how many megabytes a scan or illustration was.

They didn't care about resolution, DPI... just the physical size, uncompressed EPS in megabytes. Must be uncompressed so the full image quality can be determined by the size. All uncompressed images at say, 8 x 10 300dpi will always be the same physical size in megabytes. JPG will make some images smaller... or larger.

They knew at a specific size the image was high enough quality to print.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, Vern is right about the sheer file size as a quality indicator. As a rule of thumb, an uncompressed TIFF of about 15 MB is good enough to print on A 4, 30 MB equals A 3 (european formats). The best way to see the real file size is to open the image in Photoshop, where the opened size is shown on the bottom left of the window.