Suggestions for Moho to go OPEN SOURCE. Discuss

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

(I dig up this topic)

There should be a way for coders among us to help fix some bugs and add new features, without getting the full code. This way, Anime Studio could improve faster while keeping not-open-source and not free. Scripting is cool but you can't, for example, add Bezier curve support with scripts : you have to add it inside the program.
But maybe I mistake... :roll:

I like Anime Studio, I like to use it, and I respect the great work of the developer(s), but to be true : I think it really lacks updates.

I use several open-source softwares not because they are free but because of the updates. Every coder can work on an open-source program, that is why they often grow up very fast. But it is hard to get money from an open-source software, and people need money to live, that is why they sell softwares instead of giving it. Otherwise all softwares would be already open-source. :wink:
________
Yamaha xt600e
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This idea is pretty much dead.

AS is distributed by a commercial software company. They have invested money into marketing and development and need to sell a product to get back that investment. I've seen dozens of open source programs completely abandoned because the person running it got tired or it or couldn't keep it up any more.

Do you even know what is required to do this or how much it would cost?

If you want a free open source animation application with lots of "buggy" updates go use something else. There are a few out there.

Go post on Adobe's web site and ask them to make Photoshop open source, or InDesign or Flash. Go on to Autodesk's forum and ask them to make Maya open source.

People want small cheap "unknown" but powerful programs to go "open source" but they never expect Microsoft or Apple to do this. I wonder why?

Personally I wouldn't want AS to be open source.

I hope this topic dies. AS is not going open source. I would bet on it. It's got way too much potential.

-vern
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

You did not read my post...
There should be a way for coders among us to help fix some bugs and add new features, without getting the full code. This way, Anime Studio could improve faster while keeping not-open-source and not free.
I say that AS does not have to turn open-source to permit users to help the program improve. It would be like scripting, but for the real program. You don't have to get the whole code to add features to a software, just a few tens of lines.
________
Hot box vape
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote: If you want a free open source animation application with lots of "buggy" updates go use something else ... People want small cheap "unknown" but powerful programs to go "open source" but they never expect Microsoft or Apple to do this. I wonder why?
-vern
Whilst I agreee on AS and opensource, I think the experience of OpenOffice, Ubuntu and Blender have shown that open soucre can have very significant effects on industry - none of those are 'buggy' backroom projects.

I know from personal contact that some of the big 3D companies are worried by Blender - it's getting good and some commercial TV animation series studios have either picked it up or are experimenting with it; One Chinaese studio has 150 Blender station on a Korean HD project - they have extended usage ny writing their own scripts too.

DominiqueBray might want to look at the lua options - theire is a lot that can be done with that.

Rhoel.