Does Moho produce television quality animation?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sherlock

Does Moho produce television quality animation?

Post by sherlock »

Forgive my ignorance, but I could not find the answer to the question elsewhere. Can I render animation to a format supported by television networks?

Thanks.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

yes you can.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Select the File->Project Settings menu command to bring up a dialog where you can adjust resolution and frame rate to match your needs.
gochris

TV Quality

Post by gochris »

Moho can absolutely do TV quality work.

Many shows are now produced in Flash, including Mucha Lucha and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. Essentially Moho's vector based technology is the same as Flash, so don't be worried, you can do TV quality work. As a matter of fact, hard drive space permitting, you could 35 MM film resolution!

I'm doing that now with Moho.

Good luck!
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Thanks, gang. I do feel better (even excited) now. :lol:
TheTallGuy

Post by TheTallGuy »

There's a nice exchange with one of the animators on Foster's Home that can be found here:

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=341&page=1&pp=10

In it, he mentions that they in Flash at 24FPS and a resolution of 720x540. Moho can generate this sort of resolution without breaking a sweat.

It looks like Cartoon Network uses Illustrator for BGs and character components, Flash for animating, and After Effects for compositing. I'd guess that they could dump After Effects if they switched to Moho. (Not sure if AE does anything for sound, but visually I'd think they could do all their compositing via Moho's layers.)

Michael
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well, I only must say one thing: "Television Quality" is much more than a resolution of the image, I think...
gochris

Post by gochris »

Judging by most of what I see on my TV, the phrase "Television quality" is an oxymoron!
TheTallGuy

Post by TheTallGuy »

There's Ernie Kovac's famous line: "TV: a medium, so called because it is neither rare nor well done."
AcouSvnt

Re: TV Quality

Post by AcouSvnt »

The TallGuy: clever quote; I hadn't heard that before. :lol:
gochris wrote:As a matter of fact, hard drive space permitting, you could 35 MM film resolution!
What res would you use for that?

That's why it's a good idea to keep all the original moho files and other associated files; you never know when you'll want to do a higher resolution render. And all that stuff takes up a heck of a lot less space than the final output.
-Keith
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Film is generally scanned in at between 2K and 4K DPI. Since a standard 35mm motion picture image is 24mm wide, that ends up being (roughly) 1940 pixels wide at 2K resolution. But to compensate for variations in aperture size and registration and to keep the numbers nice, I imagine in most cases you'd jst scan an inch for a 2048 pixel wide image. So you could figure 2048 x 1536 for 3:4 aspect full frame, or 4096 x 3072 if you're, like, Disney or Pixar. The actual vertical size depends on your chosen aspect ratio. Also, you have to throw in whether the image is going to be projected straight or anamorphic. But that's the ballparks. One service I looked at uses 1920 x 1080 as their max resolution for digital to 35mm transfer.

--Brian