Anime Studio - Release Date

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

7feet

Post by 7feet »

More the question is, will they keep the current demo model? If they do, a watermark has shown itself to be a better option than crippleware.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I don't freelance for efrontier... I would in a heart beat if they asked... but I don't.

I am a web designer. A freelance web designer with an animation jones. I look for programs that connect to the right side of my brain. A lot of programs are written by engineers... not artists. Moho and Animation:Master seem to both follow the idea of being created for the artists mind... not the computer engineers mind.

There is no Moho stuff on either of my web sites... at the moment... it is all or mostly Animation:Master and 3D stuff.

I guess at some point I will be putting up Moho samples.

As for if there will be more stuff from me with AS... who knows. I don't have any plans for it at the moment. I don't even know for sure if this file will be used... it will be up to them. I am just going to make it available.

Seriously... zlimbot, if you are serious and not just having some fun with me... I am sort of laughing here.. in a good way. I never thought of myself as any kind of "ringer" for this stuff. It makes me feel good to be thought of as some kind of "Anime Studio" undercover plant. ;)

Let's face it... some of the animation of that "toon girl" is... pretty bad... I hate the arms...

-vern
AllenC

My Novice Thoughts

Post by AllenC »

Hey All, Greetings and all that...

I purchased MOHO a few days before version 5.0 was released and all of the updates have been free thus far, I certainly cannot complain.

Although I would sometimes lurk here in the forum and piddle every few months with some of the drawing tools in Moho, it is only very recently that I've dedicated myself to learning this wonderful piece of software.

I've been away from animation as a hobby for just over two decades and I must say I'm am thrilled beyond belief with this program. Back when I was 15-18 years old you could find me every night hunched over my home made light table, stack of paper and number two pencils in hand, slaving away into the wee hours of the morning. When it was all done it took hundreds of hours for a few seconds of motion. Factor in the cost of lighting, film, developing, and the Super 8 Cam (which I still have, btw, and purchased for $300 when I was 17) and you see how easily $99 can be spent. And at the end of the day the product had not been produced with professional grade tools and there were very few outlets to display the work.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: As an old schooler in animation who has been on one long drunk sabbatical, I'm not finding anything to complain about here. Even if the price of MOHO jumps a thousand dollars in the end it would be worth it to me. Independent Animation has never seen a heyday like the one we have now. The software cost vs. the potential professional output is absolutely amazing. The many venues to display our work is absolutely amazing. It is now possible for one animator with a PC to produce top grade entertainment for pennies on the dollar compared to 20 years ago.

This topic is the first I've heard of a merger or new name for Moho...so forgive this 40 year old if he is speaking out of turn. Just wanted to share, in my own vague way, a point of view on the topic.

Sincerely,
Allen
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

Allen, what you say is certainly true and Moho could easily cost several thousand dollars for what you get (compared to what it used to cost in the old days).

But the paradigm has shifted too just as it has for say... music. In the old days you would save up your pennies for the longest time with your bandmates for a weekend in the recording studio. And the results (from an engineering perspective) would be poor at best - even if you used a "professional" studio and with a so-called "professional" engineer/producer.

These days for pocket change you can run the same exact virtual equipment as your favorite artist and maybe even run circles around them production-wise.

So, while $99 is definitely an unheard of bargain (relatively speaking). At the same time, with the price going up to $299, I think it IS fair for all of us to be asking questions. Just as lots of people ask questions on the music forums even if a synthesizer plugin might cost as little as $99 or even less (whereas in the past a hardware synthesizer might run you several thousands of dollars). As I said, it's a different paradigm now.

Too... if the price of AnimeStudio goes up to $299 then that puts it right up against Toonboom Studio (more or less). Which raises other questions of features vs. method of working vs. content vs. product support, etc. And makes the decision a bit more complicated just as it might be if you were choosing a 3D piece of software.

I think that we're all just anxious (and excited) to see what will happen with our favorite bit of 2d vector-based animation software.
AllenC

Sequent

Post by AllenC »

Sequent,

Yes, this is a new paradigm. Technology has forced us to shift our views on many things, animation included.

I know I came off as sort of an old codger who would say something like, "Boy! You don't know how easy you have it! Back in my day we had to...blah blah blah" The truth is, though, that doing animation twenty years ago compared to today was like walking to school barefoot in five feet of snow--uphill--both ways!

I'm not complaining or whining about it...trust me...I'm just glad to be here for the changes. More than that, I'm thrilled and more than welcome the new version of Moho/Anime Studio!

Sincerely,
Allen
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums about the new partnership for a while now.

I must say people do seem to be over reacting about a few things. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, right or wrong, good or bad, who's to say what is what (heh heh always wanted to say that!). I really do think people should not insult others on a forum where the most important thing for the software is the community. Everybody will know soon enough what will be happening to their favourite software.

As it stands the software is capable of so much. Its only limited by the way you apply yourself to it. We are all creative and thrive on a challange. This is how you become great at something.

Mike now has more backing, a stable base for the software. This is great news for the product. It WILL get better, they WILL listen to what you have to say, they WILL provide the best deal possible for their client base, this is common business sense.

I'm sure that the product will undergo a price change, though I doubt it will be a huge difference, but to give the product everything that you guys are crying out for, to make it stand at the forfront of the animation industry, to lift it up and make people look and use it, they need to do what all software companies need to do which is cover costs and generate renvenue to keep the product going.

They need to add more features, to develope new requests, to market it, to give it public awareness. This all costs money.

I have every faith that LM and EF will give you, their most valuble commodity, the best deal possible. It's not an easy task to get something off the ground and running.

All you guys already know this, how hard is it for all of you to constantly create stories, animation etc? It's hard, I know cause I do it for a living. Creating, moulding and producing a piece of film/art is an insane task, forever asking yourself if it's good enough, never quite happy with everything. It's kills you mentally, not to mention the amount of time that goes into producing it physically and most of you guys have other jobs as well!

Lets just sit tight and have some faith in the people that are now helping make this great product even better.

GK
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Greykid,
As most here on the forum know your work is world class.Thanks for the comments. It's kind of like a big brother with comforting words.
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
pwyskowski

Post by pwyskowski »

While I am bummed that my procrastination has lead to me having to pay more for Moho/Anime Studio (when I get the money), I am VERY happy for the creator. I find it truly inspiring that such wonderful software got picked up by a big company and will finally get the exposure that it deserves. Way to go! :D