Lookout Flash!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ZenPsycho

Post by ZenPsycho »

Brand name connotations operate on a subconcious level, not a concious level. So it's not so much looking at the name and thinking "Oh I see, it's a combination between these two words!', but it sparks certain synaptic connections which give the product a particular feel.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ha!

I've gotten the same chuckles and grins mentioning "Moho" as I do when I tell people I use a "Hash" product... or when I wear that dang "Hash" T-shirt... I have to do a lot of explaining.

p.s. My name Vernon means "Alder Tree"... it's just a name I suppose. Although... it has been said I can be "thick as tree" on occasion... or maybe they meant... stubborn as a tree... are trees stubborn?

;)

-vern
ZenPsycho

Post by ZenPsycho »

Sure. How many discussions like that do you expect to have over a product named "Anime Studio".... Or is it just going to fade into background noise? It's precisely those conversations that are the lifeblood of a successful brand. Imagine how strange the word Xerox sounds. Nabisco, Nickelodeon. Pepsi, ebay, fedex, kodak, reebok, yoplait, Haagendas, We remember them precisely because they sound weird. And they all have connotations that relate to the product's identity. It's more than just a name change, it's a philosophy change.
hard as snails

Post by hard as snails »

Maybe the best solution would of been to make moho open source and free. That way you may of seen moho used to make some big animations, the studio would of customised it, people would of worked on plug-ins, it would reach a much wider audience and Mike would of been able to sit back and relax...
Is there any free open source animation software?
hilarity begins at home...
PixelDust

Post by PixelDust »

There are Synfig and KToon, and neither one of them is anywhere near ready yet.
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

I have Synfig and I see many very good things in it, like the render preview, the nice gradient fills etc. It would be great to see these in Moho too. But I think the animation basics of Moho is definiately better than Synfigs'. Practically Synfig is a nice toy but I don't want to make serious animations with it.

I know about an example when the open source community collected a payment for the developer to make the software GPL. That was the Blender 3D software.

In Moho, there is another possibility, the Lua interface. If it is good enough (far away from that) the open source core program is not required. Lua has the capability to use external C libraries (disabled in Moho), so with a well designed interface, you can develop any functions you want... (I will make an example C library immediately when it will be possible in Moho. Freeware is useful only if anybody can use it, so we will need some cooperation to make the ported and compiled versions for the "average" users.).
- - - Fazek
The400th

Post by The400th »

I know about an example when the open source community collected a payment for the developer to make the software GPL. That was the Blender 3D software.
Well, the original company went bust and the money was a payoff so the original investors could get some of their money back. We don't want the same thing to happen to Lost Marble.

And the Elephant's Dream film they made with it was... well... watch it and decide for yourself.

Sadly, I fear most of the development work on Anime Studio in the near future will be making it more friendly to the mass market.