Problem with Moho 5.4 on the Mac

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JCook

Problem with Moho 5.4 on the Mac

Post by JCook »

I've downloaded Moho 5.4 onto my Mac, and I'm running OS 1.4.6. My computer is not an Intel chip, but a G4 dual processor (regular old Mac chip, whatever it is). I can open Moho 5.4, but when I open a project done in 5.3, that uses png files, it opens up and all the images are nothing but horizontal colored lines. It renders that way, too. If I import a PNG file from this previous project into a new Moho 5.4 document, the same thing happens. But I tried importing other PNGs and JPEGs and they came in OK. So I guess there's some sort of bug at work here? Don't know what's going on, but I'm going to have to go back to 5.3 to finish this project. Any insight on this would be helpful.

thanks,
Jack
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The PNG files included with the tutorials import fine here. Can you import the tutorial PNGs successfully? If this bug is related to a specific PNG file you have, please post a link to it here, or email a copy to support@lostmarble.com
JCook

Post by JCook »

I've just sent an email with the attached file to you. The tutorial PNGs open fine, and I've tried other ones and they open fine also. But several from this project don't work in 5.4, but they still work in 5.3.1.

Jack
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

I cannot open Moho 5.4 on my Mac because it's an OS 10.3.9 :(
Is there any way to make a 5.4 version that'll run on OS 10.3 and not just on OS 10.4?
James 8)
JCook

Post by JCook »

Just wanted to say that Lost Marble solved my problem for me and now everything seems to be working fine with Moho 5.4. I had to use a hi-res png file so that I could zoom way in on it and still have good quality, and apparently this was causing a problem (I won't go into details about that because I don't really know them). But it's working fine now. Thanks to LM for great support and quick action on this!

Jack
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

If anyone else is having the same problem on Mac, just re-download the 5.4 installer. (I didn't bump the version number while I tried out a fix for JCook.)
jackthegiantkiller

Slower than before?

Post by jackthegiantkiller »

I'm actually getting slower playback rates in 5.4 on a dual 2.3 G5 with tons of ram then compared to 5.3.

I'd been working on some complex characters in 5.3, and by activating only "Fills" "Outlines" and "Fast Buffer" in Display Quality I was able to get full framerate playback. Then I installed 5.4, opened the same file and cannot achieve full framerates unless I turn the "Outlines" off - which I NEED. What happened to the "Fast Buffer" option? I had high hopes for this update, not so thrilled now. Back to 5.3.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The "fast buffer" option was a way to force Moho to draw in 8 bit color. With the new method of drawing on the Mac, this isn't an option. I'm surprised to hear it's slower, though. If you open one of the sample files that comes with Moho, does that file play back slower or faster than with 5.3? Would it be possible to post a link to your file here on the forum, or email it to support@lostmarble.com?
satanictesticles

Post by satanictesticles »

It works like a speedy, speedy dream on my intel imac (dual 2.0ghz).

Nice work, LM... very nice work!!!!!!
jackthegiantkiller

Oh well...

Post by jackthegiantkiller »

Funny, it seems erratic when it decides to play full framerate and when it doesn't. One day it runs like a dream, then bogs down on another. Could be due to server activity etc, so I can't just blame the program. Can't wait to try it on an Intel Mac.

Unfortunately I can't send the files because of the legal stuff with the client, but it all came out great regardless. If you want to see the final video (albeit in the cruddy YouTube codec) you can go to this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaf9gcPlQA4

All the characters were animated in Moho by myself, then composited in After Effects. This spot will be airing on VH1 for the next couple weeks.

Let me tell you, people around the animation studio here in NYC are REALLY amazed by Moho - I've had about 5 people tell me they downloaded the demo. But I also get to hear their complaints when they attempt to work in the timeline as most are familiar with either an After Effects timeline or Maya - where you get full visual control of each bone/layer in the timeline. I tell them that once you know the program well enough you can easily work around the timeline differences (but I would really love to have multiple bones visible in the timeline.) Regardless, I managed to rig about 13 characters in 2 days, as we only had a week to complete the whole thing! A new record for me. There are a few things I would have improved if we had more time, but I'm still really happy with it.

Thanks, Moho!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I like it. It's just complex enough animation to fool the eye, but you kept it simple enough to not stretch your timeline. Cleverly done.