Will there be more updates to Moho?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

Post by Manu »

Lost Marble wrote:Now, as far as Moho goes. Moho is definitely not dead. In fact, I hope to be able to announce some big news soon. I've been working with a company (who will remain nameless for now) on an effort to push Moho beyond where it has been up until now. This company will be able to provide marketing, sales, support and development resources to Moho. In a few months, you should even be able to buy a boxed copy of Moho in a store. That's about all I can say for now, but Moho definitely has a future.

-Mike
Good grief Mike, I can't believe you did this as your main job until now. And all on your own.
Let's hope this company treats Moho and its users with as much love and respect as you did. Developing this sort of software demands a certain sensitivity that many developers lack, it's not just about the technical knowledge. Will you still be involved in the future versions?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

A clarification: no, this does not mean that Moho has been bought out. It's a re-publishing agreement, meaning that someone else will be able to concentrate on advertising, promotion, retail boxes, etc. The other good part is that this is a real software company (not just a reseller), so they will be able to put some developers to work adding new features and such. So, the problem that Moho has become too much weight for me to carry alone will go away. (When you add up the coding, technical support, sales, etc., and more and more users coming along, it's inevitable that not everything will get the attention it deserves from one person - hopefully that will be fixed soon.)

-Mike
BA

Post by BA »

sweet, it's hard to believe it's already come this far through the work of just one man....

additional help with marketing and tech support can only improve things... as long as it's not adobe.
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
LostAndFound

Post by LostAndFound »

Oh man, I hate Adobe, they did it again (i am kidding) :D :D
LostAndFound//
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No, it's not Adobe. However, I really shouldn't talk about who it is or isn't, so if any other companies are mentioned, please understand if I don't confirm or deny.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

As long as you keep the LUA stuff in Moho.

That LUA... man... that just kicks arse.

With all the new cool scripts popping up... I was thinking we didn't need you to come back (we've got bone copy/paste covered now). ;)

Any chance you could convince Adobe or MS to incorporate LUA scripting in their applications? ;)

Are there any other programs that use it? I never even heard of LUA till I purchased Moho.

-Vern
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Lua is apparently used in a lot of game engines.
LostAndFound

Post by LostAndFound »

That is true, take a look at this engine www.quest3d.com. It uses LUA.

Anyway, I wish LostMarble good luck with this new phase. And also I hope the price remains low.
LostAndFound//
myles

Post by myles »

heyvern wrote:Are there any other programs that use it? I never even heard of LUA till I purchased Moho.
I've tripped over a couple of programs using Lua:

SciTE - my favorite text editor has Lua scripting.

Artweaver, a paint program, has Lua plugin scripting, compatible with the Lua plugin scripting for Dogwaffle and The GIMP.

You can also use Lua as a standalone programming language (implementations exist for the major platforms, along with GUI extensions such as FLTK and wxWidgets, and there is even a .NET implementation or two).

A whole stack of stuff here - I see Digital Fusion's DFScript is based on Lua.

LM, if you're still following this thread, thanks for all the work you've put in so far, and I hope you play the major part in the continuing design of Moho features - I like the way you've implemented a lot of stuff in Moho with a surprisingly useable interface.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Manu

Post by Manu »

And Luxology's Modo uses LUA as one of its scripting languages alongside PERL.
As far as companies working on Moho are concerned, I can't make my mind up which one of the big names I would like to see working on it. They all have their defects, and I don't think Adobe is the worst.
The most important thing is that they respect and truly understand the "soul" of the program they're working on. I've seen a fantastic program like Painter going from "pure genius" to "okay" by being moved around between companies. From version 4 onwards, most of the features added were just added to look good on the demonstration-day.
I recently downloaded ArtRage, a freebie painting program. It's very simple, but the brushes completely put Painter to shame. Artrage shows what Painter should have been like by concentrating on the basics rather than flashy, useless features.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well, I'm still assimilateing it but... WOW! :shock: This seems to be the great event for I've been waiting since I met LostMarble and Moho, I mean, see them more near of the place that they deserve :) ...I always have thought all that work would have his rewards sooner or later and I send to LM all the good luck and best wishes that I can collect, I'd only wish that LM always be the main soul of Moho cause he have demostrated along all this time have the most great common sense in all the aspects and it seems to me that only he could have the key to maintain Moho on the "right way" and without deviations, but well, I'm sure he'll do the most correct thing and we'll see it :) ...Well, as I said I really HOPE all things go as well as posssible and... and now... I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE FUTURE PROVIDE TO US! :D

PS: Hmmm... it seems to me that I haven't been able to express all my emotion with this your languaje but beliveme that I've really tried :roll: ...CIAO!
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Well thats good news. I always thought it was a bit much for you to handle on your own. This thread is a sad one to announce it in. So much complaining.

Keep us updated.
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
Cybertoon

Post by Cybertoon »

"Ultimately, spending my time on the forum is unsustainable - financially, mentally, strategically"
In my opinion the "FORUM" is the moho killer.
(I remember the good old times at yahoo user group.)

Who need to know all this gossip?

But everybody needs attention...

Back to the roots!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Joined in Aug 2004, and 6 posts? Well, at least no-one could accuse YOU of clogging up the forums...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
jackthegiantkiller

Post by jackthegiantkiller »

And also I hope the price remains low.
LM just said that he's had to take on extra jobs and more just to make ends meet and we're still asking him to practically give his program away. At $99 he can hope for volume sales to net him a profit, but as we know, this hasn't been the case. Hopefully this will change with the new marketing team, but marketing doesn't come cheap, so I would expect there to be some cost increase...which is completely justified and reasonable. This program is so beyond "shareware" that it deserves to cost what it gives in return, and not just for the sake of the program's future, but for LM and his family as well. I'm not talking Toon Boom Solo pricing, but I do believe this program is worth as much as Toon Boom Studio.