Animate for Work, School or Own Enjoyment? (w/ poll)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

What Do You Animate for?

Business
28%
School
6%
Own Enjoyment
67%

Total votes: 36
[AIPstuMA&A]franman

Animate for Work, School or Own Enjoyment? (w/ poll)

Post by [AIPstuMA&A]franman »

What does the Moho community animate for mainly?

I animate more for school at this point as im trying to build my portfolio for graduation. although im only in my 4th quarter out of about 12, i still need to make sure that everything looks perfect in my animations. for big animation companys will eventually be looking at my work, like Pixar, Blue Sky, etc.
The Art Institutes' "Moho Guy" as called by my animation teacher...
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

I am currently animating as a hobby as i am 14 but i hope that in the future I can get a job using animation :D

Dan :wink:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
ralphrubbish

Post by ralphrubbish »

i voted for Business but thats because i couldn't pick both Business and Own Enjoyment. i bought moho at home before we started using it at work. i also bought lightwave 7 at home before we upgraded at work.
[AIPstuMA&A]franman

Post by [AIPstuMA&A]franman »

ralphrubbish wrote:i voted for Business but thats because i couldn't pick both Business and Own Enjoyment. i bought moho at home before we started using it at work. i also bought lightwave 7 at home before we upgraded at work.
Where do you Work?
The Art Institutes' "Moho Guy" as called by my animation teacher...
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

School:

Little Red Riding Brat

Frankenshopper

Good Angel, Bad Angel

-------

Other than those projects everything else was done for my own (and others ;) ) enjoyment.

James 8)
SJMarky

Post by SJMarky »

Currently animating for pleasure, but after my tech job comes to an end Dec 1 (buy-out and shut-down) I plan to do it as a business.
Can a no-talent hack make cartoons with just clip art and a Mac? You bet!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

For myself, at the moment, but certainly fishing for "real" gigs. Unfortunately, its the usual situation where folks have unreasonable expectations that have little relation to their schedule and budget. But I hope one'll pan out.
cribble

Post by cribble »

I do it for myself, and because i've done so over the last couple of years i'm going to go on and study it further at uni. Off to Bath i go...
--Scott
cribble.net
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

7feet wrote:...its the usual situation where folks have unreasonable expectations that have little relation to their schedule and budget...
Good lord... this is true of EVERY creative field.

Imagine if you could produce a quality artistic work by just pounding rocks really hard for 8 hours a day... the harder you pound the better the quality.

I have often wished the effort of being "creative" could be linked to purely physical effort... need a new web site? Just dig a big hole. Finish an animated short film? Simply paint a house.

;)

I do this for fun and profit... on occassion. The profit part is not so good. But the fun part can LEAD to profit sometimes.

-Vern
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Ain't that the sad, sad truth. I can make better money taping drywall than I can at most creative endeavors. But if nothing else I'm a persistent bastid, and occasianally something cool comes along. But more often its" yeah that's probably 130 hours of work" and if the rate is more than 35 cents an hour, I just wasted 4 bucks on the subway.
maxic

Post by maxic »

Certainly business, already 3 years, and now I shall do even more than earlier.
Jaunito

Post by Jaunito »

at this moment for own enjoyment but looking for a job in near future :)

Post by jahnocli »

I remember someone likening artistic involvement to prostitution -- first you do it to please yourself, then you do it to please your friends, and finally you do it for money!
(I haven't reached stage 3 yet...)
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I've used Moho on two jobs.

I'm curious to know, from the people who are doing it professionally, how you track down clients. In my case I got one job through someone I used to work with, and the other job fell into my lap through my employer at the time, for whom I was doing Flash animation on a TV series (they had a short film that needed to be done, they figured they'd give me a try and I thought Moho would be a good choice to use for it. The results were excellent). I would like to be able to find potential clients and send them samples of my work without blindly mailing DVD's to every video production place in town.
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

For our studio, most of the jobs are coming through personal relations and satisfied clients. These relations are working everywhere in the market, so I have very bad experience with the incoming "call for offer" style requests.

But if you have enough extra energy, you can browse the www.awn.com. Probably you will find many attractive offers, but to get the job...
- - - Fazek