Moho is extremely logical and easy to learn and Flash isn't

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gavi dvan

Post by gavi dvan »

MarkBorok wrote:
Flash's "vector" drawing tools remind me more of MS Paint!
That's the whole point. Flash was originally a vector "painting" program so that working with vectors could be as easy as painting. It was originally called "Future Splash", had no animation features and was intended to be a companion program to Illustrator.
rearrange the order of shapes
They have added a feature in the current release that allows you to treat every stroke as a separate shape, just like in other vector drawing programs. So you can move them up and down to your heart's content.
Thanks for the info... but they can go and jump, they had their chance with me and they blew it, they've left me bitter and heartbroken and these scars just won't heal
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
There is a 255 character limit
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

gavi dvan wrote:they've left me bitter and heartbroken and these scars just won't heal
Do you need a hug? You can have it and I'll give it willingly.

I don't like to see people bitter and frustrated. Better to dig a hole in the ground, put your bad feelings in there and fill the hole up. Life is too wonderful and precious to spend feeling bad and down all the time.
Windmill

Post by Windmill »

Rasheed wrote:
gavi dvan wrote:they've left me bitter and heartbroken and these scars just won't heal
Do you need a hug? You can have it and I'll give it willingly.

I don't like to see people bitter and frustrated. Better to dig a hole in the ground, put your bad feelings in there and fill the hole up. Life is too wonderful and precious to spend feeling bad and down all the time.
I think he's joking ;)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I knew that, but in case he wasn't, the offer still stands.
gavi dvan

Post by gavi dvan »

Rasheed wrote:Better to dig a hole in the ground, put your bad feelings in there and fill the hole up.
If I had a copy of Flash that's exactly what I'd do with it....... :twisted:

Thankyou for your kind offer and your heartfelt words Rasheed, but now that we've moved onto 3D Studio Max I'm feeling much much better, and I think I'm going to be okay after all. :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
There is a 255 character limit
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

slowtiger wrote:Uhm, I beg to differ: Animo didn't drop the vector animation, but after, I believe, some marketing decisions this ability was moved into the special effects module. So it is still there (completely with output to .swf), but you have to buy the complete package to take advantage of it. I'd like to work with Animo again (started in 1994 with it), but I can't affort the license.
Animo 3 had a vector side but the pin and bone system used as standard in 1,8 was dropped. Most of us who used the vectors were disappointed with Version 3.

The marketing of Animo and their licencing system left may in the industry angry. Their ongoing "pay us heaps of money if you want to contunie using the prouct" strategy seems to have been so highly successful that Cambridge Animation had had to dump most if not all of thier programming staff and relocated to Ireland. Nothing to do wtih poor sales or their need to exploit tax incentives and dirt cheap office space.

I know one of their original guys - he quit the animation support business and now installs underfloor heating systems. Pity becuase he was a brilliant technicain and good bloke.

Quite how the company fell from making top feature film making software to an also ran is both interesting and depressing - and beyond the scope for discussion here.

Just as a point of interest, is anyone still using it for series work?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

MarkBorok wrote:Rhoel - I think your problem was that your Movie Clip should have been set to Graphic Symbol insead of Movie Clip..
The use of the graphic symbol vs Movie Clip is an interesting thought and might be a good work around if Macromedia hasnt fixed it.

I do have a copy of Flash MX here and I really should go back and play with it; But I find Moho better and only use Flash for webgraphics and web applications like world clocks.

From memory, we even tried actionscript to punch the movie frames forward - even that failed. The biggest disappointment was not the limitations of the software but the attitude of macromedia - seems they still hasn't changed. May they continue thier head in the sand approach as that will do Moho pleanty of good.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I know of several companies in germany who purchased Animo licenses back in 1995, but don't know if they still use it.
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Rhoel wrote:
MarkBorok wrote:Rhoel - I think your problem was that your Movie Clip should have been set to Graphic Symbol insead of Movie Clip..
The use of the graphic symbol vs Movie Clip is an interesting thought and might be a good work around if Macromedia hasnt fixed it.

I do have a copy of Flash MX here and I really should go back and play with it; But I find Moho better and only use Flash for webgraphics and web applications like world clocks.

From memory, we even tried actionscript to punch the movie frames forward - even that failed. The biggest disappointment was not the limitations of the software but the attitude of macromedia - seems they still hasn't changed. May they continue thier head in the sand approach as that will do Moho pleanty of good.
Movie Clips are meant to be manipulated using ActionScript, but that will only work in interactive, i.e. SWF files. Not Quicktime movies for video.

There must be some reason why they have both Movie Clip and Graphic symbol types, although it seems like it would make more sense to have one symbol type that works both ways.

Anyway, we should probably drop this thread as it no longer has anything to do with Moho. Just a suggestion.