Update action from reference

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mamorix2019

Update action from reference

Post by mamorix2019 »

Hi,everybody .
Is there a way to update action from reference ?
For instance I have a rigged character and I've imported as a reference and I want to change its action and updated in my scene file.
thank you in advance.
Greenlaw

Re: Update action from reference

Post by Greenlaw »

I always found that annoying too but, no, you need to open the original first.

The 'workaround' is to break the reference layer, which I sometimes do if I find myself revision it often.

Optionally, I guess you could use Layer Shortcuts to create a selector for the original layer.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I should clarify the above:

You can edit the action for the reference, but to do this you first need to select and open the original while the Action is selected. Then, you can select the reference layer and edit the vectors in that.

If you try to edit the reference layer directly under the Action, without first opening the original layer under the Action, you will get that error you've been seeing. Open the original first, and you should be good to go for editing the reference layer.

BTW, while this is annoying, it's not a bug. The reference's keyframes are based on the original's keyframes, so you need to go through the original first.

Be aware that if you decide to break the reference to avoid this extra step, you will lose all the reference updating capabilities. When I decide to do this, I just copy and paste what I need from the original to the 'broken' layer (i.e., the former reference layer, now essentially a copy layer.) It's usually not a big deal.

To break a reference, just right-click over the reference layer and choose Break Reference Layer.

Hope this helps.
mamorix2019

Post by mamorix2019 »

Thank you.yes Indeed.
it's really annoying .