Mixing Moho licenses pro and debut

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tylos

Mixing Moho licenses pro and debut

Post by Tylos »

Hi,

We are starting short film production. For one project(4-6month) Moho looks e bit expensive. I have opened my character rig in debut mode and it work fine. Is any way for animators use debut version and for riggers and rendering pro version? What would save a bit... And we could take some trainies...
Greenlaw

Re: Mixing Moho licenses pro and debut

Post by Greenlaw »

I believe for the most part Debut can be used to animate Moho Pro projects that utilize advanced features, but it can't be used to create or edit those features. Examples include: Smart Bone Actions, Target Bones, custom meshes.

Debut also doesn't support certain 'basic' Pro features, but you can work around some of these limitations. For example, Debut does not offer the Group layer but you can use a Bone layer the same way.

One significant limitation with Debut is that you cannot use custom scripts. This means you will not be able to use some really useful tools like Synthsin75's Layer Shortcuts or Hayasidist's BakePNG in Debut. Just something to keep in mind.

If you have a Moho Pro license, you can switch between Pro and Debut mode from the Preferences window. This way you can test which features will work for you in Debut and which will not.

Hope this helps.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:22 am One significant limitation with Debut is that you cannot use custom scripts. This means you will not be able to use some really useful tools like Synthsin75's Layer Shortcuts or Hayasidist's BakePNG in Debut. Just something to keep in mind.
You can use custom scripts in Debut. Debut just doesn't come with any menu scripts. So any third party menu scripts have to be installed as toolbar buttons.
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Thanks, I will try to animate in debut version and check... It's look promising... I am not so advance Moho user to know about scripts.. but is good to know. We have budget for project, but not sure how many animators will be(i think 3-5 for 10min film)... Debut version price would help....

My Moho Pro test:
http://tyluskinas.lt/video/EinaKeliu5_2.mp4
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

So on my case Debut version could fit for trainees and for file review... All rig work great... but no channels for deeper animation. For example on separate smart bone I animate wind.. It would be hard to control on debut version....

EDIT.
It's possible to expand channels.. so what's great... So it could be used by animators :)
Last edited by Tylos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for the correction about using scripts in Debut, Wes! :)
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

I was reading license of software. I am not very good at that. But it's looks what you can use only on your own projects. So it could be hard to give it to freelancers. I need to contact support for that.

"single copy of the Software (except as expressly permitted in the Documentation) solely for your own internal use on a single computer"
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, a single license is for one user. You can activate it on up to three computer but they all need to be for the same user. Typically, this would be for a desktop and a mobile computer (laptop or tablet PC.) The third activation is a 'backup' or can be used for rendering on an additional computer.

Normally, each user would need their own license. I know large studios can get floating licenses of Moho Pro to share between multiple users on a team, but they probably won't offer this service unless all the artists are on the same network. Also, they probably wouldn't do this for Debut anyway, since that version is relatively cheap.

Suggestion: might this production be better suited to using OpenSource software like Synfig or Blender? I haven't used Synfig but as a puppet animation program, it seems similar to Moho Debut. Blender will have a higher learning curve to master, but it's certainly capable of puppet animation. Either of these are free to use even for commercial productions.

Hope this helps. Please let me know what you ultimately decide. I'm curious to hear the answer and how you arrived at the decision.
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Hi,

Thanks for advice. Blender is on my mind, but Moho looks a bit more animator orientated(for now). Maybe I will do some test in blender. I will let you know what desision will be.

Now we have ~1200eur for software. So we can take 2pro versions and 5debut(of curse 1 person per license).

Fro freelancers technically I have to rent pc.
"do not allow you to use the Software on a computer that you do not own or control"
"Software may be used by any number of people and may be installed and activated on up to three (3) computers so long as no possibility exists of the Software being used at more than one (1) computer at any given time."
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Tylos wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:36 am "Software may be used by any number of people and may be installed and activated on up to three (3) computers so long as no possibility exists of the Software being used at more than one (1) computer at any given time."
Ah, thanks for the correction. Normally, I have one activation on the workstation at my home studio, and a second activation on my laptop for when I'm away, but I guess that leaves out using the third as an extra render node as I suggested earlier.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 pm
Tylos wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:36 am "Software may be used by any number of people and may be installed and activated on up to three (3) computers so long as no possibility exists of the Software being used at more than one (1) computer at any given time."
Ah, thanks for the correction. Normally, I have one activation on the workstation at my home studio, and a second activation on my laptop for when I'm away, but I guess that leaves out using the third as an extra render node as I suggested earlier.
Considering the Moho Exporter is a separate program, one person can still use it on one computer while someone uses Moho on another.