Masks in mask. Don't work?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gaston

Masks in mask. Don't work?

Post by Gaston »

Hi,
I've an issue with masks. So, I've a head with layers and masks (mask the face for head turn, mask the eyes, mask the mouth) and there is a layer with a hat. For the head turn I need to have a mask for the hat. But the mask function don't run on this layer group. I don't know why. Is ist because of the face mask, who is parenting? The other mask layers are ok.
And I mean I've made the same settings. Please help, I'm lost in Moho space again.
Gaston

Re: Masks in mask. Don't work?

Post by Gaston »

It works already, the hat layer seams to react of the head layer. But I don't want this.
My order: first the head layer with the mask function for the head turn. The layer inside are with the function "masked on" except the nose, ears and hair. What mask function should I put on the hat layer group? The hat layer group is a mask layer too.
But no matter what attitude I take, the hat layer group was masked by the head. The hat is inside the head. :(
Is it possible to break the mask function of the head layer to clean it for the included hat layer and his mask function?
Why do the other mask groups work inside the head group?
When I pull out the hat layer group from the head layer group, the mask in the hat layer group works normally.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing your actual setup, it's a little hard to say what's wrong.

Based on past experience, here are some suggestions:

For a variety of reasons, Mask previews are not always accurate. When you render, does it look the same or any differently? (i.e., correct or otherwise?)

Mask preview errors can occur when a mask is trying to work over other nested masks. These can usually be solved by breaking the setup into individual groups, each with its own mask. This may require duplicating some layers.

GPU Acceleration can definitely affect masking preview accuracy. When seeing accurate masking is important, it is usually best to turn this feature off.

The above mostly assumes the preview is wrong, but the render is correct (or maybe still wrong but different.) But maybe this will give you some ideas for fixing the problem.

Sometimes it helps to bake down a masked group into a 'flattened' image; in some situations, this can simplify your setup and potentially speed up the render. There is an excellent tool by Hayasidist called Bake PNG which lets you do this. Just select the group and run the tool posted he posted this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31963&p=182396&hil ... ng#p182406

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

Nested mask layers don't always appear correctly in the preview pane, but I haven't had any errors in the final rendering yet.
- Dave

(As Your GM)