How do I limit duration of animation group?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TaylorSt95

How do I limit duration of animation group?

Post by TaylorSt95 »

Well, this is probably an easy question that I'm just missing... So, my full animation project is in the same work-space. Each scene is made of vectors and under their own group (ex: folder for 'scene 1'). I can layer and sequence these perfectly fine to get the finished result I want, but is there any way to hide a layer grouping after It's finished playing? For example, say I want 'scene 1' to end at frame 150, is there anyway to trim the rest off, so It's not just always present in the background? If I leave them visible, it exponentially slows my buffering and rendering down with each new scene because it has to process every vector layer underneath.

Any thoughts, ideas, or any recommendations for different ways to organize my groups?

Thanks! :)

TS
Maestral

Re: How do I limit duration of animation group?

Post by Maestral »

The most common approach is to have each scene as a separate file but if the whole structure is not too much complex - folders should fit the bill.
Double-click on the folder would open Properties panel where you'll find (on the General tab) in the upper left part a checkbox - Visible. Uncheck where/when that folder is not needed to be seen. The same checkbox can be applied whenever you need to change the state of visibility again for that particular layer/group. You'll notice the change on the timeline as well, depicting the on or off state with or without the red portions, along with the keyframes.

Separation also implies that individual renders would be later on trimmed/edited in a video editor. Though, it does not make sense if you use Moho as a video editor since some quality loss could appear in the final render but there's a ton of available video editing tools, especially if you need just basic editing tools such as - trimming, 'patching' and similar. Separation of the scenes is 'commonly' used when you may expect further changes in scenes (production-wise / i.e.), you need to divide certain elements from the scene (character, background or props all in separate videos but in proper place / i.e.) or if you plan some additional effects or stylistic adjustments applied (in video editor) on the initial moho's renders.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

TaylorSt95 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 pm ...So, my full animation project is in the same work-space. Each scene is made of vectors and under their own group (ex: folder for 'scene 1'). I can layer and sequence these perfectly fine to get the finished result I want, but is there any way to hide a layer grouping after It's finished playing? ...
if that's where you're starting from the simplest solution is probably to put all of those 'scene' groups into a parent switch folder and activate each scene at the point that it starts in the sequencer.

But agreeing with Maestral on both points: manually switching visibility would be fine; and most people would use many moho files, export using a lossless codec (e.g. png) and assemble in a video editor.
TaylorSt95

Post by TaylorSt95 »

Oh those both make sense! Thanks!:D