Moho 12 on macOS Catalina

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gregg2g

Moho 12 on macOS Catalina

Post by Gregg2g »

I'm new to Moho and animation. I'm also retired and on a limited budget because of upcoming expenses for Christmas (All those kids and grandkids). I was wondering if anyone using Moho 12 Pro has upgraded to Mac OS Catalina and had any problems? I was thinking of buying it.
Another question would be, is the upgrade from Moho 12 Pro to Moho 13 Pro worth the money for most of you?
Thank you
alanthebox

Re: Moho 12 on macOS Catalina

Post by alanthebox »

Sorry, can't answer the Mac issue , but regarding the upgrade question, I haven't really noticed much of a change in my workflow after upgrading. I think 12.5 is still more than adequate. The bitmap brushes are cool, but not something I use often (I prefer a dedicatedpainting program like Krita over Moho's painting tools). I also don't import any 3d objects and my rigs aren't complicated enough to take advantage of the new actions panel. I think 12.5 still has plenty of mileage.
Gregg2g

Post by Gregg2g »

Thank you alanthebox.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Gregg2g wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:51 pm I'm new to Moho and animation...is the upgrade from Moho 12 Pro to Moho 13 Pro worth the money for most of you?
Hi Gregg,

I can't answer the Mac part of your post but I can offer some info that may help with your Moho 12 to Moho 13 upgrade decision.

The latest version of Moho 12 Pro has been a solid performer for me at work and play. I've used Moho 12 for a couple of years to create animation in several TV shows and in a few personal projects. (See the 2019 demo reel link in my sig for recent Moho 12 examples.) IMO, if you already own Moho 12 Pro, you have a strong animation program. Since you're on a budget, I recommend downloading and installing Krita. Krita is a free paint program that works well with Moho and it includes a basic FBF animation system too.

Moho 13 Pro introduced a native bitmap painting system which means you don't need to use a separate paint program like Krita or Photoshop to create bitmap images or bitmap FBF in Moho. Realistically, however, the native paint system, as it currently exists in Moho 13, is somewhat basic. It can certainly can 'get the job done' but the limitations might be frustrating for advanced needs. On the plus side, because these tools are built into Moho, you don't need to jump into a second program to handle simpler painting tasks, and you can paint elements directly 'in-place' inside Moho's Workspace. Besides, Moho's paint tools are not always going to be this limited; the developers are actively improving them and continuing to add features with each new release.

One feature I really do like in Moho 13 is the new Actions windows. Many of my rigs may easily have over 100 Smart Bone Actions, and the Moho 12 Actions window can become almost unmanageable. Organizing this list is much saner in Moho 13 because you can group related Actions in separate folders and/or use tags to 'group' Actions independently of their folders. For me, this feature alone can make the Moho 13 upgrade worthwhile. The new Actions window might be considered an 'advanced' feature but if you're serious about using Moho for animation, you'll definitely grow into this one.

Since you stated you are new to Moho and animation...

If you already own Moho 12 Pro, I would first take the time to learn the basics of creating animation with Moho using this version. For usual Moho stuff (vector drawing, bones and IK, Smart Bone Actions, mesh warping, layer comps, etc.,) the program hasn't changed too dramatically between 12 and 13. (Well, except for the new Actions menu...this one really is a big deal to me.) If you need 2D painting in Moho 12, you can use an external program like Krita and import images (character, props, bg art) and image sequences (FBF) to Moho. Vector tools between Moho 12 and 13 are generally unchanged. Also, at this stage, the program is very stable.

But if you don't currently own either Moho 12 or Moho 13, I would probably go straight to Moho 13 because this is the current version of the software, it's in active development, and it will continue to get better for the foreseeable future. Almost anything you can do in 12, you can do in 13, and then some. Because Moho 13 is still new you'll probably run into a few stability issues, but the program is going to improve over time.

Moho 12, on the other hand, is only going to be as good as it is right now. It's pretty darn good but it's never going to get better.

Hope this info helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gregg2g

Post by Gregg2g »

Thank you D.R, Greenlaw for your feedback. I have other art programs I use, Affinity Designer for vector and ArtStudio Pro for the bitmap. I'm turning more to the vector side now for my art. Wanting to experiment. I always loved drawing cartoons since I was a young dude, and now would like to get back into it.
I still would like to see if Moho 12 is compatible with macOS 10.15. But then, I will check in with my boss (spouse) and maybe go for version 13.
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

This is all off topic....
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

rayamc wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 pm This is all off topic....
Well, the OP did ask for people's opinions on upgrading from 12 to 13...
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

My fault - thought I was in the Moho 13 Catalina thread - doh.