Moho 13 "better 3D Support"

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Diana Kennedy

Moho 13 "better 3D Support"

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Hm...
It appears to me that only ONE texture can be applied to an obj. Not several. Am I right?
Also it does not seem to support already assignend mtl files - Moho 12, instead, does.
So I am not sure we really had an enhancement here, on the contrary. I have a 3D object I can less customize than I could in 12. So I might not delete Moho 12 just - for the handling of 3D objects.

Or did I miss something?
chucky

Re: Moho 13 "better 3D Support"

Post by chucky »

You can import models with more than one material, they appear in the dropdown list of materials.
I think the 3d feature is at the start of a new journey.
I think outlines are crucial for most applications of the 3d feature in Moho as is lighting that is world, not object based.
We shall have to wait and see what happens in this space, I guess. :|
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

chucky wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 pm You can import models with more than one material, they appear in the dropdown list of materials.
Yes, but they are not on the model. Only one. Not all.

I think the 3d feature is at the start of a new journey.

Yes. Lets hope the whole thing will evolve. Would be great.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Some ideas on this issue? I really would like it happen that all materials and textures are dispalyed on an imported model. Yet now, only one texture is displayed on the imported model.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

While there is a lot of room for feature growth in 3D objects in MOHO, you CAN have multiple texture files on an imported OBJ file. But it has to have been created with multiple materials (and also have UV coordinates mapped out). Within an .obj file it will specify a .mtl file, usually the same name as the obj file, but with .mtl extension. In that file can exist multiple materials. In MOHO 13.0.1 on the Materials tab there will be a dropdown box, and it will say "default material". If the obj file had, say, 4 materials, you will see 4 more names in the dropdown box. Select the first, browse for a texture file and then hit 'apply'. Go to the dropdown, select the 2nd, hit browse and pick a texture file, click 'apply'. Repeat.

I have obj files that I used procedural shaders on in another 3D program. Those shaders are outside the domain of .obj files, but the material names and all the mapping exported fine. I am painting approximations of the textures and they map to each material properly in MOHO. That is why I know multiple texture files are supported in MOHO 13. OBJ files can, and often are, designed to use a single material and texture file, this is done by mapping the UVs to different areas of the texture file. If your OBJ was made this way, it will only support one texture file, unless you remake it to break it up into multiple materials.

- Wes
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hey, there's another Wes. Welcome to the forum.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Well Hello back. Wes is not that common a name, but I know there are more than 2 of us. :)

- Wes Howe
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Actually I thought that you had remade your account for some reason, because the way he wrote -Wes at the end of the message was too much coincidence xD