Bitmap sketch layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Bitmap sketch layers

Post by strider2000 »

Hey everybody,
I'm playing around with the Moho 13 trial version (cool!) I'm wondering if I'm missing something or have a setting I need to tweak. Basically I want to use one layer as a sketch or reference, and then draw on top of that sketch with my inks. What I'm currently seeing is that the sketch layer shows up, but when I start drawing on the layer above it, the sketch layer becomes invisible while I draw :(

I can imagine that this might have been done as a performance optimization, because the brushes look really nice and blending seems to work pretty well. However, I think it will be a really common desire to have at least one sketch layer visible while drawing.

Thoughts?

Thanks. It's good to see the upgrade. I hope it's well received.
DremondB

Re: Bitmap sketch layers

Post by DremondB »

MOHO 13-- I'm having an issue as well: There is an issue regarding FBF playback in MOHO 13. The drawn lines break up/ pixelate when I hit play, even if you convert it to MP4 video. I have a 2017- 13" i5 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.5, I'm Not sure what's happing. My Workflow: I create a new project: In the layer panel I select "Image" / frame by frame/ 1080p Resolution- I then sketched a quick 3 frame animation. - I then hit play and the lines break up and are barely visible: this happens even if I change the resolution, Anybody have any Ideas?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Strider, below 50% opacity, others bitmap layers will disappear unless you enable GPU acceleration.

Dremond, enabling GPU acceleration will also help bitmaps look better during playback.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks. On my system, it seems that it still disappears even with GPU acceleration on, but it definitely is about the opacity. Thanks for the info.

It would be nice if you could mark a layer to stay unchanged, even at low opacity, since that's mainly what I think many people do with a sketch layer. Currently, I guess I'll just turn off pen pressure and turn the color light.

Interestingly, to other readers, I tried to leave the opacity high for the pen/brush, and then later turn down the opacity of the layer, as you might do in most drawing programs. When I did that, the opacity actually bumps up, when drawing on the layer above :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

I think it depends on your system, works fine on my PC with a gtx 1070.
I've noticed with transparency the display prefers to have the current layer behind other ones.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

strider2000 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 am Interestingly, to other readers, I tried to leave the opacity high for the pen/brush, and then later turn down the opacity of the layer, as you might do in most drawing programs. When I did that, the opacity actually bumps up, when drawing on the layer above :)
That's when you'd need to enable GPU acceleration.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I've noticed with transparency the display prefers to have the current layer behind other ones.
Thanks chucky. That works :)

By the way, I just saw your video. Thanks! (Link below if readers don't know).

By the way, is there something special you need to do to get swatches working for bitmap? I saw it in your video, but can't replicate. I get the color picker to work, but not swatches.