MOHO 13 - EVERYTHING WE KNOW SO FAR

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alanthebox

Re: MOHO 13 - EVERYTHING WE KNOW SO FAR

Post by alanthebox »

I received a pop-up on the screen with a download link and serial number right away. An email arrived within 5 minutes. Perhaps you've run into a glitch!
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

dueyftw wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am
But sad to see the poser import is gone.
I was told it was a licence issue. Poser and the raster to vector trace is gone because of it.

I just tried to import a poser 11 file into 13 by using 12. doesn't work.

Dale
Thanks for checking it out! I didn't know about the raster to vector being gone either. Not that I miss it by much, but was hoping an improvement on it.
synthsin75

Re: MOHO 13 - Cloud Connection Mandatory

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:12 am
Smith Micro re: cloud connection mandatory in MOHO 13 wrote: You have a choice between online and offline activation. You will have a seven-day grace period before activation becomes mandatory.

If you perform an online activation, Moho will require an activation refresh every 45 days. If you’re connected to the internet, this refresh will be done automatically. If you’re not connected to the internet at the refresh point, you will have a seven-day grace period before the refresh becomes mandatory. If you choose to do an offline (“manual”) activation, Moho will require an activation refresh every 180 days and you will have a seven-day grace period to perform this manual refresh.

During any seven-day grace period, you will only be able to use the Moho Debut feature set.
I usually don't have a problem with a one time activation but having my software send information back and forth periodically is usually something I try to avoid. :(
That's how Moho has worked since AS11. It's not new.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 am That's how Moho has worked since AS11. It's not new.
So if they ever decide to close the door on it, your software will stop working in 45 days.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 am
synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 am That's how Moho has worked since AS11. It's not new.
So if they ever decide to close the door on it, your software will stop working in 45 days.
No, you'd likely get a chance to make it a permanent license.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

What does "permanent license" mean in that case? Am I able to install Moho onto a new drive and enter the serial number? Because that's the most likely situation.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

There are things that could be done for abandoned software.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 am No, you'd likely get a chance to make it a permanent license.
Not quite the way in works in reality. I have lost several software programs to online activation and this was only needed on initial activation. The good thing was they all would work continuously until a system fail or upgrade requiring reactivation. I personally contacted 2 companies about the possibility of then closing the door on their software and they both guaranteed me in the event that would occur they would provide me a patch for self activation. Well to make a long story short, no company has ever made available self activation after closing the door. 100% of the time my software lasted until the next time it needed it to be reactivated.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 am
synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 am No, you'd likely get a chance to make it a permanent license.
Not quite the way in works in reality. I have lost several software programs to online activation and this was only needed on initial activation. The good thing was they all would work continuously until a system fail or upgrade requiring reactivation. I personally contacted 2 companies about the possibility of then closing the door on their software and they both guaranteed me in the event that would occur they would provide me a patch for self activation. Well to make a long story short, no company has ever made available self activation after closing the door. 100% of the time my software lasted until the next time it needed it to be reactivated.
Two companies you've personally dealt with is a small, anecdotal sample size. I can see why you might be jaded, and the only advice I could offer would be to not buy any software nowadays. Many are subscription-based. Would you prefer that?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 am Two companies you've personally dealt with is a small, anecdotal sample size. I can see why you might be jaded, and the only advice I could offer would be to not buy any software nowadays.
I didn't say I only lost 2 programs. I only knew about 2 that the writing was on the wall and I contacted them personally to ask about my potential loss. The losses total larger then 2. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who have experienced losses of their software due to online activation and the door closing on their software.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:15 am
synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 am Two companies you've personally dealt with is a small, anecdotal sample size. I can see why you might be jaded, and the only advice I could offer would be to not buy any software nowadays.
I didn't say I only lost 2 programs. I only knew about 2 that the writing was on the wall and I contacted them personally to ask about my potential loss. The losses total larger then 2. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who have experienced losses of their software due to online activation and the door closing on their software.
Sorry, but still anecdotal. But like I said, I can understand why you might be jaded, but that seems to be your raison d'etre.

If you don't like the terms, don't buy. Pretty simple. I mean, since when has a lot of complaining online ever made a company change its piracy prevention or pricing?
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Sorry, but can someone tell me, in simple terms what the activation policy means. In particular, I'm wondering about this line
... Moho will require an activation refresh every 45 days ...

Since I'm only a hobbyist, there may be periods where I don't use the software for several months (too busy on other things for a while). But then I'll have some free time and want to create things. My computer is connected to the internet.

I don't think this means that I'll lose my access to the software, if I don't use it frequently, does it? I think it just means the following. Imagine I purchase and activate the software on July 1. I use it for about a week, but then I get bogged down in work and then go on vacation. I don't come back to the software for about 2 months. That's more than 45 days since activation, so when the software starts up, it will connect, via the internet and confirm that I'm using a valid registered copy of the software, no problem.

Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

strider2000 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:01 am Sorry, but can someone tell me, in simple terms what the activation policy means. In particular, I'm wondering about this line
... Moho will require an activation refresh every 45 days ...

Since I'm only a hobbyist, there may be periods where I don't use the software for several months (too busy on other things for a while). But then I'll have some free time and want to create things. My computer is connected to the internet.

I don't think this means that I'll lose my access to the software, if I don't use it frequently, does it? I think it just means the following. Imagine I purchase and activate the software on July 1. I use it for about a week, but then I get bogged down in work and then go on vacation. I don't come back to the software for about 2 months. That's more than 45 days since activation, so when the software starts up, it will connect, via the internet and confirm that I'm using a valid registered copy of the software, no problem.

Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks.
Yep, you're spot on. As long as you have an internet connection, you'll never notice a lapse in access...even after many months.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Cool. Thanks Wes :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Speed painting in Moho 13,
In the next video I'll Smart mesh, rig and animate