Re-parent bones issue

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ahayut

Re-parent bones issue

Post by Ahayut »

Hey Moho people,

I have quite annoying issue:
I rigged a character and had to have him cycling in a specific scene. I added bike to his bone layer and re-parented the character's Center bone to the bike's Center bone, plus I used the pedals and handles as targets for the arms and legs, following Victor Paredes webinar to AS 10 (I only realized tagret bones can be animated too, very cool). The actual cycling was super easy and went great, the problem occurred when i needed the character to fall off the bike- I released that un-parenting the character from the bike got the character all deformed. Its not the first time I use the re-parent tool and things go mad. Anyone knows how to better handle it? Should I have just use target bone rather than re-parent? any tips?

Thanks in advance!
synthsin75

Re: Re-parent bones issue

Post by synthsin75 »

What happens if you keyframe the rotation of all the character's bones before unparenting?
Ahayut

Post by Ahayut »

Thanks for your reply synthsin75

Had a go. Didn't really help. What happens is that all the bones get slightly dislocated when un-parent.
I thought it might be because the position of the character when I un-parent in relation to the bike is not the same as it was when I re-parented (he hit something and falls), so I tried un-parent while still riding in same position- the character stayed intact. but it then drifted away from the bike up until it hit the un-parent keyframe, then drifted again.
Might be a good idea to mention I parent the character to the bike at frame zero and to un-parent I just pressed an empty space so the Center bone is parented to nothing.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If the bones dislocate, try keyframing all their positions before unparenting.
Ahayut

Post by Ahayut »

i did. I used freeze pose. Didn;t work. Is that what you meant?

Thanks,
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess I'd have to see your particular problem to offer any more suggestions.