gradient fill is not shown

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

p8guitar

gradient fill is not shown

Post by p8guitar »

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is a bug. I have an animation where two shapes are filled with a green gradient, but when I start the animation, only a white fill is shown. Same when I render the animation.

I tried to upload the .moho file to TinyPic, but got an error message "Error 503 Service unavailable". Is there another way to upload files here?

Peter
Greenlaw

Re: gradient fill is not shown

Post by Greenlaw »

Probably not a bug but definitely post the file so we can take a look at it.

There are many file server sites out there. I use Dropbox for my uploads.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Renders fine here (Ctrl+R or Ctrl+E). If you have GPU acceleration disabled, gradients will not show while playing the timeline, in an attempt to play closer to real-time.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Do you mean preferences - general - enable GPU? this is checked.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That shouldn't affect rendering though...GPU is not used for rendering.

Are you sure the gradient is not appearing in an actual render? That is, Preview (ctrl+R), Export Animation (ctrl+E), or Moho Exporter (ctrl+B)? It's normal for certain procedural effects to drop out for realtime previews and Preview Animations, but the effects should always appear in an actual render.

If all your settings seem correct, maybe you have outdated drivers for your graphics card/chipset?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

p8guitar wrote:Do you mean preferences - general - enable GPU? this is checked.
There's also a checkbox in the Display Quality dropdown at the bottom right on the workspace.

And as Dennis said, this only affects playing the timeline, so renders should work fine.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I downloaded your file and, like Wes, the project seems normal to me. The Gradient effect renders fine with Preview render (ctrl+R) and with other full render commands.

The gradient does drop out while scrubbing or pressing play in the timeline but, as mentioned above, that's normal behavior. Effects like this drop out in favor of animation performance but if you really need to see it, you can display the effect by enabling GPU Acceleration. This option essentially pre-renders the effect and caches it in memory as a texture. It's not exactly what you would see in a full render but a pretty good approximation.

FYI, I normally leave GPU Acceleration disabled because it can prevent masking effects from displaying properly, and seeing correct masking in a character is far important to me. Besides, displaying procedural effects like Gradient in the workspace usually isn't critical or important while I'm animating. Most of the time I don't even have AA enabled for the workspace.

Hope this helps.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Ah :D !
I checked this GPU acceleration checkbox now, and I see the gradient, both in the running animation and in the rendered file.

I thought that the preview animation (Ctrl+shift+R) would show the same like the exported/rendered (ctrl+E) file and the preview (ctrl+R).
But without GPU acceleration, the previewed animation (ctrl+shift+R) doesn't show the gradient, but the exported file and the preview do!

Thank you both very much for your help!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure, glad to hear you got that sorted out. :)

FYI, Preview Animation (ctrl+shift+R) doesn't use the Moho renderer, it just records the workspace timeline playback. You use this command when the workspace begins to struggle with realtime playback. By pre-recording the workspace animation to a movie file, you can play it in a video player at the proper framerate.

Preview Animation is especially useful when you're checking lipsync or any animation where timing is critical, and when it's not necessary to see 'final quality' rendering which can take a lot longer to generate.
prabhakar

Post by prabhakar »

I bought Moho Pro 13.5 recently and facing same issue.

1. it is not showing gradience colors while run preview and timeline
2. I have observe that round shape is not displaying instead it is showing edges
3. I draw rectangle with gradience and exported as SVG file. Now I imported same file. It is not importing with gradience color. It is showing while.

I think some settings, i need to correct. Can someone help me here?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

worth checking that you're applying gradient to the FILL not to the stroke. e.g. https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 42#p208642
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

prabhakar wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:12 am 1. it is not showing gradience colors while run preview and timeline
Gradients do not show in the workspace while playing the timeline, and preview animation is rendering the playing workspace.
2. I have observe that round shape is not displaying instead it is showing edges
Try disabling GPU acceleration.
prabhakar

Post by prabhakar »

@synthsin as you said about the first point. when I export animation, I am getting gradient colours and second one also working fine.

I created object with gradient colour and exported as SVG file. Now I am trying to import the same object. In this case gradient is completely not displaying- timeline, preview and export animation.

I have create one object with gradient in Inkscape and export as SVG file. I am facing same issue while import it in Moho.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - you can't import svg gradients. (I thought there was a list of import limitation in manual, but I can't find it now!?)