Target Bones only work on frame 0

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mick

Target Bones only work on frame 0

Post by Mick »

I'm using MOHO 12 Pro. Why is it that my target bones are only working on frame 0 ? When I'm on frame 0 they work great, but if I go to any other frame, moving them has no effect on my rig.
Greenlaw

Re: Target Bones only work on frame 0

Post by Greenlaw »

Not sure without seeing your setup.

Is it possible that the target is disabled at frame 1?

Another thought: If you're using any smart bone actions, it's possible that one of your actions has keyframes unintentionally locking the bones.

Can you upload the project? You can strip the art layers out, just need to see the bones layer.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the quick response. I don't mind uploading, but it's been a couple years since I posted and I'll have to figure out how to upload from this forum.

I am using smart bones. How would the unintentional locking happen?

Also... I've spent about 10 min but don't see how to upload the bone file. TinyPic does not recongnize the moho file format. Any suggestions?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you're using Smart Bones, check each of the Smart Bone actions and look for keyframes in the skeleton. For example, it could look like some all of the bones have been keyframed at frame 1, or something silly like that. You can tell because the bones will be highlighted while your in the action. This can happen if you have a habit of using Freeze Pose or maybe you accidentally nudged a bunch of bones while they were selected.

To upload a file, you need to upload it to a file hosting site first and then post the download link here. I like to use DropBox or Google Drive, and there are other free file hosting sites.
Mick

Post by Mick »

yeah... sorry about that. A momentary mental glitch. I'll take a look a my actions and in the meantime, if you could take a quick look, the bones are at...

http://mickbovenstudios.com/BonesOnly.moho

Thanks so much for the help
Mick

Post by Mick »

So you are right I believe. In some of my actions, all bones are highlighted. I am in the habit of using cntrl F and I guess that's what did it. So I'm only supposed to have one bone highlighted within the each action, is that correct?

There's no way I could have figured that out. I owe you "big time". Thank you for your kindness... it was a big help. Take care...
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Hi,
I have the same problem. The target bone is frozen at frame 1. Also the main bone cannot be moved. I had some smart bones for the character and deleted them all bit by bit. The problem remains, even without smart bones. In a new scene the bone hierarchy works with the target bone. :(
Last edited by Gaston on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

A bit busy at the moment but will check out your file later today.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

:)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I see what the problem is: the target bone is muted.

To fix this, go to a later frame and, with the Manipulate Bones tool selected, move a target bone. It won't move but this will create a keyframe in the timeline.

Look at the channel in the timeline and you'll notice the Mute button (the red dot) is enabled. Click on the topmost Mute button to disable the mute (it should turn green.) Clicking on the top button should also disable any other muted bones in the layer.

Now you should be able to animate the target bone as normal.

BTW, I would suggest removing the rotation constraints in the legs. That might make it more difficult to animate when using target bones. This may depend on your character design (which I can't see of course) but, generally speaking, I never bother using rotational constraints on character limbs because it limits the character's posing possibilities.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Thanks for the tip. :D :D :D
Which is a simple solution that I've spent hours on.
Moho is a great program, but some features are well hidden. Or you activate them by mistake and suddenly have a problem.

Also thanks for the additional tip
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure, glad to help! Good luck with the rigging and have fun!