changing origin layer vs select point tool

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

changing origin layer vs select point tool

Post by zoesan »

when changing the origin of a layer, I now get two origins, tried reset, but still the same, what's the difference between changing the origin with the layer tool, and changing the origin selecting the select point tool: with the layer tool I can change the layers origin, with the point tool selecting the layer I get two origins: if I close the file and reopen the origin though its where I want it, both for layer select and select point.
hayasidist

Re: changing origin layer vs select point tool

Post by hayasidist »

the little red + you get with the transform point tool is the "centre" of the selected points. change the number of points selected and that will most probably change. (e.g. draw a rectangle; select all points; invoke the transform points tool and that + is in the middle of the shape. Now select just the two points on one edge; invoke the transform points tool and that + is on the middle of the line.) If fewer than 2 points are selected, then no little red +

the bigger +, with arrowheads on the positive end of the x and y axes, is the layer origin.

so: in the transform points tool with points selected there'll be two "origins": one for the layer; one for the selected set of points;
or just one origin for the if you're not in the transform point tool or using that tool with fewer than 2 points selected

hth
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

makes for further observations, and application on how origin affects movement of layer or points dependent on which tool your using, thanks for that.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The origin for a layer is essentially the 'pivot' point for the layer. All transforms occur around it and being able to move it is very useful when rigging and animating the parts of a character. I find it especially useful for flipping a duplicate group to create mirror-versions of limbs. Moho keeps track of the actual origin so you can reset to it when necessary.

The 'origin' for a selection of points is simply the center of a selection's bounding box. As in the above, all transforms occur around it but this is a temporary pivot point and it is not manually repositionable (see below for an exception.) After your deselect the points, the new origin is the center of the bounding box of all points in the layer, until you make a new selection.

Sometimes transforming around the origin of a selection isn't very helpful. Normally, I just deal with it, but dkwroot created a very useful Transform Tool script mod that lets you set the origin for a selection using Shift-Alt-Click. It's great when I really need it. The only 'annoying' thing is that the new position remains fixed when you move the points...which is what it's supposed to do but sometimes that can work against me. When I need it to re-center the point as normal, there is a Center button for this. TBH, I kinda wish there was a way to enable and disable this mod because sometimes I want Moho to go back to its normal behavior. But IMO it's more useful to have this mod than not, and I do recommend it.