smart mesh Moho 12.4

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

smart mesh Moho 12.4

Post by zoesan »

I'm following Danny Sugar's Smart Mesh Basic video, it looks like he is using Moho 12, I've set it up as he describes: outline vector above, image below activated Image checkbox for smart layer usage, but nothing is happening when I move the points, the outer vector outline points move, but the image layer with the triangulated mesh activated doesn't, I'm using Moho 12.4. Can't figure out what I've missed.
zoesan

Re: smart mesh Moho 12.4

Post by zoesan »

Now smart warp mesh isn't recognizing smart warp layer under the image layer, just None is now visible, it not only didn't work but just disappeared.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

OK when I included a line for restricting the mesh movement as in Danny Sugar's Video that's when under layer settings I lost the smart mesh layer activation, now that I've deleted the line, the smart mesh layer activation returned, but still can't use mesh to manipulate image layer
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

OK once again the timeline, looks like nothing happens if your on frame zero, need to move to frame one, but the restrictive lines to lessen movement as demonstrated in Danny Sugar's video are having no effect.

Draw the lines first, then triangulate the mesh grasshopper. Back to the drawing board and continue to work on it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I haven't seen the video but using Smart Mesh should be fairly straight forward. A few tips that might help:

1. The image does not have to be under the mesh...in fact, it doesn't even need to be in the same group. The image layer just needs to refer the the mesh you want. Sometimes it's easier to work with the mesh above the image, and sometimes it's easier to work with it below. Unless I need to animate it directly, I usually hide the mesh completely (click the eyeball) so it stays out of the way. (Alternatively, you can set it to not render.)

2. As you already discovered, you won't see the deformation on frame 0, only on frame 1 and later. This is because frame 0 is your setup frame or 'rest position' for your rig. The later frames are for animation, and it's generally better to test your rig on a later frame. This is normal.

3. Only the points deform the image, not the edges. So, a curved edge will not effect an image any differently than a straight edge.

4. The image only appears within a filled shape of a mesh, which essentially behaves like a mask. Trick: you can punch holes in a complex mesh shape by deleting interior shapes. This works great for eyes and mouths.

5. A smart mesh layer has some special properties but it still animates like a regular vector layer, and the usual rules for animating, binding and using actions can apply. If you understand the basics for animating in Moho, just follow the same rules with the smart mesh.

6. When I'm making a mesh, I like to make a copy of the vector layer before triangulation. This way, I can immediate go back to editing the simpler version of the shape when I need to.

7. If you have a lot of images (as in a multi-layered character) that need to use the same mesh, you can select all the layers and apply the chosen mesh at once. No need to do this to the layers individually.

Hope this helps.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks Dr Greenlaw, been away from Moho for awhile so its all thumbs and fingers although it was more or less that before I left, working this time with jpegs via photoshop, so meshing is one place I've just started. Have a nice day: Brudders In ‘Scareplane’ (2014) just viewed.