First Pseudo 3D-Rig - What do you think?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DrNibbert

First Pseudo 3D-Rig - What do you think?

Post by DrNibbert »

Hey everyone!
It's my first time trying out to build a pseudo-3D-Rig (based on images of a stuffed Toy-Octops :mrgreen: )
i recorded a little video demonstrating the Smartbone-Actions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x907z7pd2z17 ... 4.mp4?dl=0
let me know what you think and if there is stuff that needs improvement :-)
(the back-tentacles still suck, but they dont really need to move so i guess it's ok for the purpose)

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :-)
Showreel 2018 https://vimeo.com/254290989 - Moho 12.5.1, macOS 10.10, Adobe CS6
jahnocli

Re: First Pseudo 3D-Rig - What do you think?

Post by jahnocli »

Looks OK, but if I was doing this, I'd try a combination of sketch bones and smart mesh. (Haven't messed around with this kind of image yet).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's cute!

It reminds me a little of Victor Paredes' 'Woolbuddy' commercial. You might want to study the behind-the-scenes video he made: Woolbuddy Rigs - Created with Moho (Anime Studio)

One of his really cool tricks is sliding the textures inside the limbs while they move...this creates an amazingly credible illusion of 3D. Some of Victor's ideas in this video became the foundation for how I built and animated the Puss In Boots rig for the Puss In Book interactive episode.

I agree with Jahnocli, you should try Sketch Bones for the tentacles. You'll get much smoother bends and it will be easier/faster to animate. It's what I use all the time for tails, 'noodle' limbs and, yes, tentacles. :)

But before you do that, try expanding the bone strengths in the bones you have now. This may soften the bends so it doesn't look too 'jointed'. (Also, be sure to use Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding for each limb, if you're not already doing so.)

Good luck!
DrNibbert

Post by DrNibbert »

Greenlaw wrote:It's cute!

It reminds me a little of Victor Paredes' 'Woolbuddy' commercial. You might want to study the behind-the-scenes video he made: Woolbuddy Rigs - Created with Moho (Anime Studio)
Thanks! Haha yeah i saw that video too, that gave me the idea to try it! :-D
I tried to simulate this sliding effect with meshwarp.

I'll definetly try the sketch-bones, you're right, the bending is a bit edged.
I used smartwarp, but i see that i used too few points :|
Showreel 2018 https://vimeo.com/254290989 - Moho 12.5.1, macOS 10.10, Adobe CS6
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

What's nice about sliding an Image Texture is that you can make it appear to turn all the way around, and you can also get a neat 'twisting' effect without using meshwarp at all. Like between the skin/sucker sides of the texture used in Victor's octopus...this is done by sliding or rotating the Image Texture at a slight angle while the bones are bending the shape. It's something that just happens when the texture slides through the deformed shape.

This technique works whether you're using bones, mesh warping, or both techniques together.

Another example can be seen in the Puss rig linked above: for Puss' belly and back side, I painted one large 'wraparound' Image Texture that rolls around as the character bends his torso. Even though this is just a flat painting inside a 2D mask, it has the illusion of a cylindrical object that can rotate 360 degrees. In this rig, the SBD actually turns it 720 degrees so I can over-spin the turns when I need to, like in the 'Flamenco' spin. The same technique is used for the arms, head and tail.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.