Is MOHO a One of a Kind?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Visions of Domino

Is MOHO a One of a Kind?

Post by Visions of Domino »

I'm interested, is MOHO really unique? Cause I can't find another program that offers what MOHO does. What are the closest related programs?
I'm interested in the bones and 3d space capabilities that I can't find elsewhere for a decent price.

I know ToonBoom is the main player in the 2d field, but I hear it's priced beyond its worth. Either way, it's priced beyond my reach.
Wolfkind

Post by Wolfkind »

I've attempted other 2D programs before and Moho is really the first software I've ever been excited about playing with and learning to use. The learning curve is almost non-existant (the most easy to follow tutorials in the world).

The features that are packed into it makes it an excellent buy, and is also the only animation system I decided to purchase.

I tried Toon Boom, but only made it through a few tutorials before I gave up on it. I could easily see my animation projects requiring far more preparation and less output for my creative inspirations with TB. Moho is definitely for me.

For 3D objects, I'm a former 3D Studio/Lightwave 3D user but have most recently decided to start learning Blender (www.blender3d.org) which is another piece of software that is simply amazing for the price (Free). While this package doesn't necessarily have a learning curve as easy as Moho, it does have several written and video tutorials on the net to get you up and running and doing basic modelling. I'm hoping it will prove to be a well matched companion to use with Moho's 3D importing capability.
stephklein

Post by stephklein »

Wolfkind wrote:I tried Toon Boom, but only made it through a few tutorials before I gave up on it. I could easily see my animation projects requiring far more preparation and less output for my creative inspirations with TB. Moho is definitely for me.
Same here.

Before purchasing Moho, I also wanted to look around a bit to see what else I could find that was worth using. In the end I decided to stick with Moho, for sheer ease of use and versatility. Moho might just be the most "Bang for your buck" software I've ever come across.
-Steph Klein
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The nearest program conceptwise to Moho would be Animo, by Cambridge Animation Systems (http://www.animo.com). I was lucky to be one of their beta testers in 1994 and worked with it until 1995. Animo already had the concept of bones and vector shapes, with billions of possibilities to work with. It still is one of the big all-in-one production packages. But it was always targeted to studios with a good financial backing, running on high-end machines only. There was no way I could afford the 26.000 Euro for a single license with all the modules I needed.

Moho is the nearest I found with its vector and bones concept. It's good enough for me, and it's affordable!
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

But seems that Animo abandoned the bones features a long time ago (definitely the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas :evil:), so... well, is Lost Moho the only one again? :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If they did, I'm not aware of it - haven't had an opportunity to work with it for years. Yes, that would be a shame.

The original concept of Animo (vector) was moved into the "Special effects" module, while they concentrated their marketing on "just another scan and ink animation program".