Quick Question for an Experienced Animator

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chiefr_suthrland

Quick Question for an Experienced Animator

Post by chiefr_suthrland »

I was thinking about doing some more comic book style animations similar to this...

https://youtu.be/Xp40TAwpz0Q

So, can anyone tell me...does this look like it was done with a drawing tablet/adobe illustrator type setup...or is it just me? It seems (to me at least) like it was something done frame by frame with a drawing pen...I need someone with more experience to confirm/disprove this however
slowtiger

Re: Quick Question for an Experienced Animator

Post by slowtiger »

Definitely frame-by-frame animation, done in a bitmap program (like TVPaint), could be done as well in Toonboom.

You never use Illustrator for animation.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chiefr_suthrland

Post by chiefr_suthrland »

Knew it, idk much about Illustrator. When I tell people I animate they always ask me if I use Illustrator. I could do this in Adobe Animate though, right? Never even heard of that software until now
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

The brush strokes look like those from Adobe Animate (previously Flash).

You could also check out OpenToonz as an alternative to TVPaint. It's a bit harder to learn and rough around the edges, but it's free and has a lot of features that TVPaint is lacking. I wouldn't recommend Adobe Animate.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

chiefr_suthrland wrote:Knew it, idk much about Illustrator. When I tell people I animate they always ask me if I use Illustrator. I could do this in Adobe Animate though, right? Never even heard of that software until now
Adobe Illustrator isn't an animation program so that's kind of an odd thing for them to ask. You might use Illustrator to create elements to use in an animation program like Moho, but you normally wouldn't 'animate' in Illustrator.

Adobe Animate used to be called Flash, so you might have heard of that. Animate has vector-based brushes and it's commonly used in TV animation. Moho can technically do this kind of animation, but FBF is easier in programs like Flash and Harmony mainly because of better freehand drawing tools.

For FBF, there are many options out there. I'm personally liking TVPaint a lot. OpenToonz is probably the best known free program for it.

Also, check out Krita. This is a terrific free paint program that also has an FBF animation timeline. (My one gripe is that Krita's timeline can't display audio waveforms.)