Creating characters outside Moho and importing

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pesto

Creating characters outside Moho and importing

Post by Pesto »

I use Affinity Designer a lot and love to create (static) characters in the program. I haven't had any luck importing them though. I create each body part on separate layers thinking that might make it easier for import but still no real luck. One thing I noticed is that they import with a lot more points than what I created them with and haven't found a good way to reduce the points without altering the shape. I have tried importing in different formats and even vectorizing.

In contrast, at work I have access to Animate CC and it imports the svg file flawslessly. But I don't want to use Animate and I don't have a CC subscription anymore.

Are they any good methods to import characters? If not, is SM working on that feature?
synthsin75

Re: Creating characters outside Moho and importing

Post by synthsin75 »

Are you importing the SVGs using File>Import>Vector File>SVG File?
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

Yes I am. It seems that when I am creating shapes with masking or boolean operations is when the problem of "a lot of points" is seen. Perhaps a different workflow or doing the masking in Moho is the answer.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Pesto wrote:Yes I am. It seems that when I am creating shapes with masking or boolean operations is when the problem of "a lot of points" is seen. Perhaps a different workflow or doing the masking in Moho is the answer.
Yes, Moho cannot duplicate how features like booleans and masking are handled in other vector programs, because Moho is designed for animation. I would definitely suggest doing those within Moho, and that should also make your characters more flexible while animating them (where you can animate things like masks, instead of having them "baked in").
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The good news, compared to other animation programs, is it contains content making tools.
The bad news is that you have to use them.

The shortcoming with Moho has always been its inability to work well with other programs. The recommendation always comes back to "make it in Moho."

I really wish Moho would do a lot better with importing formats like Toon Boom does.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

SVG is actually imported into Moho pretty faithfully. It's just some more complicated features of other vector programs that don't translate well. Even if you do save creating masks for Moho (where you'll have more control of them while animating), the "clean" SVG import can still save time and let you use your favorite vector drawing tools.