Grid doesn't scale with the project?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sketch_Turner

Grid doesn't scale with the project?

Post by Sketch_Turner »

OK, this one's genuinely surprising. So apparently the grid in Moho doesn't scale up/down when you change project dimensions, which effectively renders it useless (unless you switch to 1 pixel spacing). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to reset the grid?
hayasidist

Re: Grid doesn't scale with the project?

Post by hayasidist »

grid is in pixels not in (e.g.) % of render width. (and as project dimensions aren't all the same aspect ratio that could mean non-square grid. Not impossible ofc ... just not the way it currently works with a square / rectangular grid).

You can set grid dimensions and style (square / polar / hex) with ctrl-shift-G (12.4 default shortcut)

hth
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yup there's only the rule of thirds grid that matches the workspace.
You could image capture the grid you want from elsewhere and bring it in as an image and make the layer 'immune to camera' in the layer settings.
That will work as a workspace grid very well.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I've been asking for improvements to grids and guides for a while now, like the addition of a standard 12 field chart, center lines, global grid, moveable guides, other 'golden' proportions, etc. I'm hoping we'll see something in the future.

In the meantime, you can create guides with vector layers and use them as overlays. Set them to be Immune To Camera and they will stay in place and scale with the project. If you don't want the guides to render, set them to Don't Render This Layer. I mainly use this trick to show center guides and other alignment references. You can even draw freehand in a 'guide' layer for animation reference.

For guides you use frequently, save a copy in the Library to retrieve them in other projects.

Another useful tool is Epic Pen, which is a digital screen marker. I like using Epic Pen for temporary 'one-off' guides. Also, it won't damage your screen like dry-erase markers and it's more accurate.

Hope this helps.