Multiple basic questions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wr3yth

Multiple basic questions

Post by wr3yth »

i have some basic questions in moho
1_how can i un-shy a bone?!
when i shy a bone i can't select it again to un-shy that!
2_how can i organize bones?
i really use bones a lot, i have more than 100 bones just in one layer and they are too unorganized and i can't change their positions by dragging from select bones menu; is there any way to do it?
3_is there any way to set default bone strength to zero?
4_is this users problem solved in moho 12?!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEChdvyKV1c[/youtube]
5_how can i copy frames from mainline to an action?
6_is it efficient to create bones to every single points in order to not touching points later?!
7_is there any video or documentary of making full animation with moho?
i really like to see how big projects made
8_how can i turn pin bone into regular bone?
i can turn bone to pin bones with transform bone tool but i can't do the opposite
I
Greenlaw

Re: Multiple basic questions

Post by Greenlaw »

wr3yth wrote:1_how can i un-shy a bone?! when i shy a bone i can't select it again to un-shy that!
Ctrl/Shift W or select Hide/Show Shy Bone. This toggle works for all Shy Bones. On a Wacom tablet, I create a OSC button for this toggle since I use it a lot. I typically use Shy for bones I don't want the animator to touch unless they really need to.
2_how can i organize bones? i really use bones a lot, i have more than 100 bones just in one layer and they are too unorganized and i can't change their positions by dragging from select bones menu; is there any way to do it?
I like to carefully name every bone as I create it. We use a pretty good naming convention at my workplace to make sure all the names are consistent between characters and shows.

To move a bunch of bones, you can select them using the lasso or marquee and move them.

This is where creating bone sets would come in handy and the developers are aware of this request. There are some good user scripts out there but it really needs to be a native feature. Better bone management and group selections is something I've been asking for forever.
3_is there any way to set default bone strength to zero?
No, but in practice, you probably don't want to. In general, you want to start with the default and adjust after you create your element. If I'm relying heavily on bone strengths to deform a rig, chances are that every bone strength will be different throughout the rig.

However, if you need all the bones or at least all of a selection of bones to be the same strength, you can set their strength value all at one time.
4_is this users problem solved in moho 12?!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEChdvyKV1c[/youtube]
I don't have time to watch the video right now but will a take a look when I get my break.
5_how can i copy frames from mainline to an action?
Easy! Just copy the keyframes from the mainline, jump into the action and paste them there. If it's for a smart bone action, you'll probably want to cut the keyframes from the mainline and paste them into the action.

FYI, normally, you would create the keyframes directly inside the Action. That said, there's nothing wrong with making the keyframes on the Mainline and then copy/pasting them...it depends on what you need to do. There are times when it can be convenient to create the keyframes on the Mainline but IMO, it's typically more efficient to do it directly inside the action.
6_is it efficient to create bones to every single points in order to not touching points later?!
That seems like it would be a mess to animate, and it could be a drag on the system if there are a lot keyframes.

Normally I wouldn't recommend that but it really depends on what you're trying to animate. For example, sometimes I'll add a few bones in a rig that are meant to move a few specific points and this is mainly to adjust part of a drawing to look more how an artist would actually draw a character.
7_is there any video or documentary of making full animation with moho? i really like to see how big projects made
I'm working on a production based training series but it may be a while to finish. Using Moho at work every day takes up a lot of my time. :)

Will make an official announcement when it's ready though.
8_how can i turn pin bone into regular bone? i can turn bone to pin bones with transform bone tool but i can't do the opposite
Pin bones are just 'zero-length' bones. Give them some length and they become regular bones.

Hope this helps.
wr3yth

Post by wr3yth »

thank you!

Give them some length and they become regular bones.
how can i add length?
i held every possible combination of ctrl, shift and alt and dragged that mentioned pin bone but it doesn't change!
and there is no option in bone constrains to add length.
I
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Select the Pin bone, select the Transform Bone tool, then enter any number above 0 in the Length box in the Tool Options bar. (Tip: Use the right mouse button to 'scrub' a new value in the box. This is less precise but it's usually faster than entering numbers manually.)