15.6 and 17.3 laptops

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

15.6 and 17.3 laptops

Post by strider2000 »

With the new "Built for Window's Ink" computers I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a 17.3 (looking at an HP Envy) or a 15.6 (looking at a Yoga and Notebook 9 pro).

Obviously the 17.3 is the one to go with for size, but when I look at the pressure sensitivity, at best buy anyway, it doesn't seem great. I know Moho doesn't use pressure sensitivity a lot (yes for drawing, but it's easy to fix that by just ignoring it and adjusting width later), but I'm also thinking of using it for bitmap drawing with Clip Paint Studio.

So, the question I have is, has anyone used Moho with a 15.6 screen? Is it good enough? I have an older Surface Pro with the 10.6 screen and it's just not good enough at all. I can use it in a crunch, but the text is so crazy small :o

My other alternative is that I could get a really cheap older 17.3, that's not built for windows ink and use it only for animating when I want to be portable (that problem is that I'd be limited to a mouse, but it'd be only about $300).

Thanks for any input.
chucky

Re: 15.6 and 17.3 laptops

Post by chucky »

There's a 17.3 with a pen? Woah!
I've been waiting for something like that!
I'm gonna check it out.
If your doing anything graphical get the biggest screen you can stomach.
I can hardly use my epe121 for being too small and was one of the biggest tablets for a long time, it is wacom ems though which is nice.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Bigger screen is always better. I guess it depends on how big a computer you care to lug around.

For ASP/Moho, the smallest screen I used was my HP tm2, which was a convertible laptop with multi-touch and Wacom pen. I loved working on that computer, except for its small size and somewhat low screen resolution. I animated my first two ASP short films on that computer because it allowed me to work at the public library and a couple of diners around town...but yeah, the screen was a little cramped with just a couple of panels open. I probably didn't think too much about it at that time because this was the only computer I had seriously used ASP on. Nowadays, I think I'd have trouble working on it because my rigs have gotten much more complicated and I would not be able to see all bones and controls for them on that little screen.

Screen res-to-screen size should a big consideration. Currently, I'm using a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer which has a 13 inch screen with a native res of 2560 x 1440. Unfortunately, the native res is way too high for Moho on this screen, and I can't read the text or icons. To make it usable, II had to lower the screen res to 1920 x 1080, which brings it down to what Moho looks like on an older Wacom Cintiq 22HD. This is a problem I have with other Windows graphics programs too, notably Photoshop. (The current Photoshop beta is supposed to address the issue but I haven't tried it yet. I hope Moho will see improvements for high-density screens in the future.)

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you settle on.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

It drives me buggy that the demo machines never have some thing like clip studio or photoshop installed, so you can't get a good feel for whether or not the pen support is good enough. But, if you haven't seen it yet, the windows ink icon brings up sketchpad and screen sketch. That's a very easy way to confirm when a machine has good pressure sensitivity.

I spent several hours down at the local Best Buy testing out some of the latest machines. The Lenovo 720 Yoga 15 has great sensitivity as does the Notebook 9 Pro. No doubt they'll do what you want. However, the HP envy is not quite as clear. It has sensitivity, but it doesn't seem like a lot. However, that's not proof. I have a UGEE monitor. The pen pressure is great in Clip Studio, but the windows ink sketchpad and screen sketch don't seem to show it having sensitivity :/

If I knew that the Lenovo 720 Yoga 15.6 would be large enough for Moho, I would definitely go with it or the Notebook 9 Pro, but I'm not sure :(

Still thinking.

By the way, it's not a laptop by any means, but while I was at Best Buy I saw a Surface Studio 28. Whoa!!!!! That thing is incredible!!! I just wanted to play with that all day. Screen space is incredible. If you haven't seen one you have to go see it, just for the amazement.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yep I had one of those tm2, was that a great machine! touch , em screen fingerprint reader, remote control, swivel screen, dvd 'lightscribe' burner. It was mental. If only it was 17.3 inches and didn't have that bezel.

Have a look a this video, I trust the shog , I've never seen a video from him before but he posts on tablet pc forums and has been a balanced source for many years- he probably had a tm2 and an ep 121 also.

You could try from best buy you get 2 weeks eh?
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks for sharing chucky. I'll check out that video. If I get one I'll definitely let everyone know what I think. I'm keeping my eyes open for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.