Image sequence issue

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

WakkoCat

Image sequence issue

Post by WakkoCat »

I have Moho 1.2.3 (Windows) and I'm a bit frustrated. What happened is that I uploaded image sequence, and this being Moho, they showed as a flat, regular layer even though when I clicked PLAY they played just fine. The thing is there are nothing in Timeline to show it is an sequence (i.e., displaying sequences as dots in timeline like how Anime Studio Pro 11 automatically used to do every time I upload image sequences.) So, I clicked on the said layer to "Convert to Switch" - and it crashed! I tried two or three times to upload image sequences, converted them to switch, and still it crashed.

I'm rather bummed - Anime Studio Pro used to be so good with image sequences, and now Moho doesn't. :(

What should I do?
Greenlaw

Re: Image sequence issue

Post by Greenlaw »

An Image Sequence layer is like a video clip, so you'll only see one element on the timeline. You're not supposed to see individual keyframes with it.

It sounds like you want to see the Image Sequence layer as a Switch layer. To do that, right-click on the Image Sequence layer and select Convert To Switch. Now you will see all the keyframes for each frame of the Switch layer.

Image Sequence Layers and Switch Layers are both very useful but they serve different purposes.

The main advantage with Image Sequence is that it's much easier to manage in Moho if you don't need to edit the individual frames. There are also special options for it in the Layer Settings that are not available to a Switch layer. (i.e., looping, reverse playback, change frame rate, etc.) Plus, it's easier to update if you make changes to the sequence in its source program.

I use the Image Sequence layer mainly for importing animatics and other reference footage.

Switch Layers, of course, are more editable as an animation element.

BTW, note that converting from Image Sequence To Switch is a one way process. There is no command to switch back to an Image Sequence layer. If you later decide you need an Image Sequence layer after all, you'll need to re-import it as such.
WakkoCat

Post by WakkoCat »

Thanks so much! I'm embarrassed to say that after I posted my first comment that I went to read the user manual to see what I did wrong, I discovered that I had improperly named the image files, I was supposed to give them, for example, “file0001.jpg”, “file0002.jpg”, “file0003.jpg”, etc. But I used a dash instead of a period (file_0003.jpg) which could be why Moho crashed. :oops: So I batch-renamed them and it seems to resolve the issue, for now. ^^;;

But your remarks below gave me something to think about.
Image Sequence Layers and Switch Layers are both very useful but they serve different purposes.

The main advantage with Image Sequence is that it's much easier to manage in Moho if you don't need to edit the individual frames. There are also special options for it in the Layer Settings that are not available to a Switch layer. (i.e., looping, reverse playback, change frame rate, etc.) Plus, it's easier to update if you make changes to the sequence in its source program.
I have not known about the difference between Image Sequence layers and Switch Layers and their advantages/disadvantages. I learned something new, thank you very much!

But I do need to see them in the timeline, though. Even with a check in the box to enable visibility in the timeline (and chose a color for the layer), I still can't see Image Sequence in there, which is why I converted them to Switch in the first place. With all other layers enabled to be visible in timeline, how do you ensure that image sequence be shown in timeline (without converting to Switch, for instance)? That is what bothered me.

Thank you again!~
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you animate the Image Sequence layer, you will see it in the timeline. For example, go to a later frame and then move the layer.

You shouldn't normally see anything in the timeline until the element has at least one keyframe. This is normal behavior.

If you're wondering why the Switch Layer is visible after conversion, it's because it has keyframes to flip through frames. If you remove the keyframes, the Switch Layer won't be visible in the timeline either. (Of course, now it's no longer doing anything either.)

Unlike the Switch Layer, an Image Sequence layer doesn't require keyframes to play, so by default, it shouldn't appear on the timeline after you import it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

There is one exception: If you import the image sequence at a frame later than zero. Now you will have a visibility keyframe. This is normal because Moho will set the visibility to off until it reaches the frame where you imported the footage at. (This is because everything really starts at frame zero.)

When you import at frame zero, it's not necessary for Moho to keyframe visibility, so you won't see it on the timeline.
WakkoCat

Post by WakkoCat »

Alright, thank you very much again.