How to cycle very intricate front pose run ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

How to cycle very intricate front pose run ?

Post by Animator101 »

Guys, I need help understanding this. CYCLING MOTION.
So I understood the idea of walk cycle. But whenever I see someone cycle somthing it's usually very simple motion.
Now....I gotta scene here and it's crazy busy. I have a big scene of T Rex chasing car through the dessert. So road is moving, I used particles to make bunch of cactus and trees, mountains...It's really interesting. Now I have T Rex I made and it's really hard to make him run but I animated 2 quality steps and intended on making them cycle but because he is in front pose it was a lot of layer scaling, bone Transforming, moving parts out of place...I mean it's really REALLY intricate. But now, because its so crazy I cant make it loop or CYCLE. I tried but Moho has different time line for each and every body part so I don't really know how to make them all repeat in a smooth fashion. It should be 24 frames for 2 steps and I know it's almost perfect cuz when I put my priject to have only 24 frames it's almost seameless run but when I select all key frames in T REX bone folder and put them to CYCLE (going back to frame 2) it's just one leg or leg and body repeating and everything is falling apart. So how do I cycle very intricate animation of this type ? Or is it just good for simple, stick figure like, motion ?
Thank you

https://ibb.co/govbNF
Animator101

Re: How to cycle very intricate front pose run ?

Post by Animator101 »

Here's the Screen Capture file of the loop I am trying to make, or cycle.

https://expirebox.com/download/b5b7e53c ... bf818.html
chucky

Post by chucky »

You have frames after the end of the loop.
Go to the last frame of the cycle , where the t-rex right foot comes forward.
Select all the Keys on that frame frame 19 and right click.
Select cycle, select relative cycle at 18 frames ( back to frame 1)

Incidentally you might want to make this animation an action.... JGI. make sure there is no animation after the loop , for now . Look into what all that means.

Incidentally ... are you just a kid? I don't know how patient I should be, are you trolling?
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

chucky wrote:You have frames after the end of the loop.
Go to the last frame of the cycle , where the t-rex right foot comes forward.
Select all the Keys on that frame frame 19 and right click.
Select cycle, select relative cycle at 18 frames ( back to frame 1)

Incidentally you might want to make this animation an action.... JGI. make sure there is no animation after the loop , for now . Look into what all that means.

Incidentally ... are you just a kid? I don't know how patient I should be, are you trolling?

Thank you but that's what I was trying but it still doesn't work. That's one of these things. Not sure whats wrong. I will investigate.
Incidentally...no I am not a kid, I am 33 years old. Also I didn't ask you to be patient. I didn't even ask you to answer really, it was your courtesy to answer first and thank you for that. Advice is much appreciated. I don't know what's trolling. I asked a question so...that's that.
chucky

Post by chucky »

So, the answer I gave you IS what you need to do, the animation is not that intricate,=you should be fine.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Hahahah did you do that animation in Moho ? Dude that's awesome :) Seriously.
On the other hand....EVERYTHING is intricate to me at this level so, that's what I mean't. For you as a pro they are pretty easy but to me that's intricate :) That's why I am here.
Thanks for input.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's a misconception here:

even for a Pro, stuff is not easy. We just might have seen a problem before and remember the solution a bit faster, so we need less time to experiment. But we try and fail the same way as others - we might fail more systematically, though, because of our past experience. We might know some dead ends so we don't have to test them again. And of course we heavily rely on a toolbox of proven solutions and workflows, kind of a book with recipes which are guaranteed to work if followed correctly.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

I totally agree slowtiger. I didn't wanna underestimate anything I just felt like as you said with that much experience not many things are intricate but for me everything is hard at this point haha.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I figured out that my cycling issue is due to the fact that Moho can not cycle certain changes like scaling. Because I need to scale vector layers for legs to make an illusion of them getting closer or further. And I noticed that it doesn't translate as a change. Leg just stays whatever I left them at until I apply next change. Moho doesn't cycle that am I right ?
I just tried in different project with just a simple shape and I think I am right. Moho won't cycle changes applied with Transform Layer tool. I hope I find work around this.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Animator101 wrote: I just tried in different project with just a simple shape and I think I am right. Moho won't cycle changes applied with Transform Layer tool. I hope I find work around this.
in the keyframe window - check the "additive cycle" box to make layer transforms accumulate

if you're reducing scale then watch out as you pass zero -- it will go to negative scale and that will make a simple shape start to look bigger....
chucky

Post by chucky »

You've got some weird stuff going on with that right leg it doesn't look attached to the bones.
I think the problem is that you've bitten off more than you can chew ( at this stage).
Just put it aside for a few hours and play with existing rigs and scenes in the content library to get familiar with how things work.
Unbind and rebind a few limbs on existing rigs, look at how they scale.

I'm sure you will get the first of many ahaaa/ ereka moments.

I don't thing accumulate cycles are anything you want to get involved with just yet, that asking for trouble.
try something other than the trex, like a ball or square connected to a single bone that bounces forward, slips back and forward again. Get that loop happening, then scale the whole group over a few seconds.
See how the principles will work and apply what you learn to the trex.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

HAYASIDIST...Thanks for advice. I will research on "Additive Cycle" since I still don't quit understand that option.

CHUCKY...Yeah I have DEFINITELY put on my plate way more than I can handle. I did like you told me I took that Alien from the Moho library and I animated front walk cycle. It's not too bad but I am trying to achieve that 3D-depth of field illusion and it looks...well in lack of better term , too much 2D :) I know it's ridiculous to say that in 2D animation software but you know what I mean. Especially if you look at his hands. So I attached 2 files, one is Alien front walk cycle and the other one is cut out of Arnold's caricature that I made into a character and made him walk forward BUT...this one has scaling in it because what I just realized is that you CAN loop or cycle SCALE (Transform Layer) as long as it's imported PNG image. For some reason Moho doesn't allow you the same freedom with vectors created within. The reason I know this is because Arnold is imported and cut out in Moho while Alien is a part of Moho. Arnold I was able to cycle with scaling and Alien I wasn't.

Is this how you would go about a front walk forward cycle everyone ? Transform Bone tool ?

Thank you

https://expirebox.com/download/3271d97d ... f602b.html

https://expirebox.com/download/28f258f1 ... a04df.html
chucky

Post by chucky »

Of course you can loop vectors scale...
It should be easy. You can also scale bone length and pin bone size and loop hem too... look into that=
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

chucky wrote:Of course you can loop vectors scale...
It should be easy. You can also scale bone length and pin bone size and loop hem too... look into that=

I believe you I just say I, personally couldn't do it. For instance I DID use BONE SCALE (Transform Bone Tool) as you can see with the Alien clip. That's all just bone scale as you can probably tell. BUT...If I tried to go to each hand let's say and scale them in size (layer itself), make them wider and maybe rotate layer a bit, that change wouldn't be incorporated into my cycle. Meaning Alien was already walking, I already made a simple cycle and than I worked on details. Well THAT detail wouldn't be cycled. If I start scaling arm on frame 12 and wanna have it back to original size at 24, that would be good for those 12 frames but it wouldn't stay as a repetitive scaling movement in the cycle. It would just be once for those 12 frames and than stay that size. I swear I don't know why is that. When I tried same thing with Arnold that is NOT made in Moho, that was possible to do. Exact same principle.

What did you mean by "pin bone size" ?
Thank you
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Ok, disregard what I said. I figured what the issue was. Apparently what I failed to realize up until now is that there is no way to loop all changes in one CHANNEL. Meaning if I want a certain body part to scale and do all of that I need to loop EACH AND EVERY of these body parts individually on their designated CHANNEL LANE. So when I select hand I need to cycle that separately from the rest I can't just go to main bone folder to the top of the list on the folder itself. I need to go and do cycle for every single specific body part I want.
chucky

Post by chucky »

If you want to use one loop to rule them all , you will have to ' freeze' the pose front and back of the loop.