Bones deforming vectors while rigging

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

Bones deforming vectors while rigging

Post by Animator101 »

I used Layer Binding when I rig my character. But very often even if my Bone Strength is set to 0, some bones will still squeeze and strech far apart body part layers that are not even close. Like moving left leg will slightly change appearance of the right leg or some other part. And all of this while Bone Strength is 0 or close to 0.
Is there a way to separate this so one body part layer wont deform other one while being animated ?
Thank you
slowtiger

Re: Bones deforming vectors while rigging

Post by slowtiger »

1. Make sure ALL images are layer bound.
or:
2. Read up about bone offset in the manual, it's an older technique but still useful.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Hey slowtiger, what do you mean by "Layer bound" ? Its just vector layer body parts I created in Moho.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Layer Binding.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
cynthia

Post by cynthia »

Image I always use flexibinding in my rigs. If you haven't done it, here's how:
Select your bone folder. Choose the bone tool (B), then select the bones of, say the arm, in your rig. Then select the layer for the arm and choose Bone>Use selected bones for flexi-binding. I always use the keyboard shortcut. do this for every bone in your rig.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Animator101 , you really have to stop and watch some tutorials.
There are plenty around, do some google fu and take the proverbial animation101.
These questions you are asking are fair enough, but the fact that every one of them are standard basics , that are widely covered in free tutorials and in the manual, makes me suspect that you are having a laugh to 'watch the monkeys jump' at your whim.
Please try.
cynthia

Post by cynthia »

suspect that you are having a laugh to 'watch the monkeys jump' at your whim [/quote]

Hey are you insulting my monkey! :D
I agree with Chucky about knuckling down to read the manual cover to cover, do the tutorials, and watch all the tutorials and webinars. I watch many of them over and over, and make notes.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey are you insulting my monkey! :D
Never, I love your monkey Cynthia! :wink:
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

I am sorry guys, I thought that no questions are dumb enough on a forum invented for purpose of answering and helping people with them but I get what you are saying. It's so damn frustrating cuz I LOVE the freakin' program and it shows it's full potential but I feel like I have my hands tied sometimes.
I do watch all YouTube tutorials, read manual and Google answers daily, but as you know in Moho it's enough sometimes to miss on one single detail and that will ruin the whole operation. So I have this T Rex that I made and it's rigged pretty much almost fully but what is boggling my mind is that I apply same technique (Layer Binding) to both legs and than I get 2 different results. And it's literally copy/pasted, its the exact same technique. That's why left leg has this weird bone structure and right is different. Cuz they reack totally different even though I spend 12 hours just trying to make legs work. Literally 12 hours at least. And same layers. copy/paste/flip. I tried layer binding, points binding....Also if I have any details or shading its a living hell cuz it's vectors so the more details you have the more close to impossible will be to rig it easily. All the lines, shades and stuff....that's all subject to horrible deformations as soon as the bones are there. I am being tempted to learn Illustrator just so I can do drawing and import PNG files into MOHO where I don't have to worry about vector points being all twisted and crazy. I don't know...this is so simple yet super hard to do.

https://ibb.co/fhc0Ga
cynthia

Post by cynthia »

[ And it's literally copy/pasted, its the exact same technique.

https://ibb.co/fhc0Ga[/quote]
Did you check the parenting? When you copy and paste bones you need to reparent. Watch https://youtu.be/yFfNQ2SS4a4?list=PL-VD ... vZ5eQ1Wdvi at 12:30 minutes
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

cynthia wrote:[ And it's literally copy/pasted, its the exact same technique.

https://ibb.co/fhc0Ga
Did you check the parenting? When you copy and paste bones you need to reparent. Watch https://youtu.be/yFfNQ2SS4a4?list=PL-VD ... vZ5eQ1Wdvi at 12:30 minutes[/quote]

Yeah, I tried everything. It's like a matter of luck. One day some stuff works and next day same stuff doesnt work. I dont know why. In this case in same project and on same character same thing just doesnt work . Like I can rig one of his legs, why ? God knows why. I obviously rigged everything else correctlky with all the bone angle constraints but one of his legs doesnt work. I I made bones from scratch instead of copy/paste , I bound layers and its just a mess.
But let me watch this long video you provided and try to understand why the hell is this so hard. It's 2d, it shouldn't be THIS hard.
Thank you for the link
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It's not just luck...it's lack of understanding on your part. If you really can't figure it out with the manual, tutorials, and YouTube, you're going to need to post your files so people can tell you EXACTLY what you're doing wrong. Otherwise, you'll just keep being baffled and people will keep guessing blindly.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

synthsin75 wrote:It's not just luck...it's lack of understanding on your part. If you really can't figure it out with the manual, tutorials, and YouTube, you're going to need to post your files so people can tell you EXACTLY what you're doing wrong. Otherwise, you'll just keep being baffled and people will keep guessing blindly.

I absolutely agree it's on my part. It feels like luck because I feel that even though sometimes I do same thing it won't work and yesterday it did. But I keep trying everything. So I WILL post files because I wish you guys can see what I see because even though it sounds like it's easy, I do follow tutorials and videos and result is not always like i the video.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I think I know , what the problem is, perhaps.
You have to UNbind the pasted layer first.
Look in the bones menu for that stuff, clear all the binding before rebinding.