What program to use to put scenes together ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

What program to use to put scenes together ?

Post by Animator101 »

What is the best program to use that you guys would suggest (on Mac) to put exported Moho scenes together and make them into an actual movie ?
Like video editing software that is most likely to be used or works the best for such a task.
Thank you
slowtiger

Re: What program to use to put scenes together ?

Post by slowtiger »

Premiere, FinalCut, iMovie.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Oh cool thank you.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

And if you're mentioning Premier, then you have to mention After Effects, where you can import png sequences and re-assemble actual shots, adding elements, distortions textures, filters and so on.
vealti

Post by vealti »

Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve, free version. Resolve started out as a color correction program (which is very good) and since Blackmagic bought it they have been adding editing features to it. I still use Premiere for my editing but I think Resolve would be fine for a lot of people's needs on this forum. Blackmagic also has Fusion which is a compositing and effects program similar to AFter Effects - also free!
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

I use iMovie usually for a quick editing but i see a lot people using Adobe After Effects. I will get trial to see how is it. I am not sure I understand what does After Effects actually do but I will try it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Adobe After Effects is not an editor, it's a compositing and effects program. I use AE with Moho frames renders every day. Moho's Layer Comp system works perfectly for this. AE can be used to add special lighting effects, distortion/warping effects, and particle effects that would be difficult or not possible with Moho alone. AE will also let you merge your Moho renders with animation and footage from other sources (like, for example, live footage, practical fx elements, or FBF animations from another program.) The composited movie output from AE is then cut in an editing program for final output.

For my personal work, I like Vegas Pro for editing but that's not available for Mac yet. Back when I was primarily a Mac user, I did like using Adobe Premiere though. Many places where I've worked tend to use FInalCut or Premiere.

Anyway, I think what he was getting at is that when you subscribe to Creative Cloud to get Premiere, you will also get After Effects (as well as Photoshop, Illustrator, Animate CC, Character Animator, Audition, InDesign, etc., all useful tools for art and animation production.)

IMO, Adobe CC is a good value but only if you regularly use multiple programs from the suite. It's possible to subscribe to CC programs a la carte, but that gets very expensive. Much better to get the whole suite if you can justify the monthly cost.

If you're not sure which video editor to get and you're on a small budget, there are some free and open source programs for video editing. DaVinci Resolve was mentioned earlier; LightWorks and Blender also come to mind. I haven't used these programs but they are popular, free and available for Win and Mac.