I have lack of layer control

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

I have lack of layer control

Post by zoesan »

I've been working on, and looked at manual, I'm not understanding layers, I was under the impression if I continued to draw seperate on the same layer, i.e. on head include nose etc, it would be bound to that layer, I have boned the rig prior to recent edits and assumed the edits would stay with the Head layer, I've tried the various 'flex' binding methods etc, but no result, at stage now of not sure how I've achieved the results, as I've managed to get the eyes, and pupils to remain with the head, although I think I may be running into problems (as if) later as I hope to follow the head rig tutorial by Heyvern for the blinking of the eyes etc. Infact I've tried seperate layer for nose, but my lack of understanding of layers is preventing progress, well slowing it down anyways. Image

Looks like TinyPic has found the second Nose jpeg a step too far for upload so hope text is sufficient
zoesan

Re: I have lack of layer control

Post by zoesan »

Well the jury was out at TinyPic and the final verdict was in my favour.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not sure how you've set this up so I'm going to take a few guesses.

I'll have to assume the 'Nose' we see in the Workspace is actually part of the 'Head' layer and not part of the 'Nose' layer because the 'Nose' layer is currently set to be invisible. If that's the case, you may have unbound the points in the nose from the rest of the 'Head' layer.

If that's the case, you need to re-bind the nose points. The easiest way is to select the Head layer can choose Reset All Bone Rigging. This will only affect the selected layer and it essentially removes the existing binding and applies Flexi-binding to that layer. Now you can use Choose Selected for Flexibinding, Point Binding, or whatever method you intended to use.

Hope this helps.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

In general it's a good idea to keep stuff not in one large bone rig, as this gets very messy during animation. Usually people put all head stuff into its own bone layer and bind this to the head bone in the upper bone layer.

My personal preference is to have a bone layer for the torso, one for hips and legs, one for arms, and one for the head, and to start with a root bone on the ground.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks guys, I followed 'release bones' and then Flexi bound, the nose is bound to head, but head is now not attached to rig, its because this was not pre worked out, and tomorrow I'll try a few tests, if no avail will have to post again, something to be said for forward planning, but then again its feeling stumped when you know the answer must be so simple that's so frustrating, if new jpeg gives any further direction much appreciated. The nose is in fact in the same layer as head, just for now stumbling through so had a new layer for nose set up to beat me with.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Image. Its going Pete Tong.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Right cut the head out, and started a fresh, couldn't get it to work otherwise, in fact improved the characters neck region with a separate neck layer and patch, included the nose, mouth/lips in the head layer attached to head bone, it could be problematic for the lips, as some movement will eventually be required, possibly lip sync, in which case it could be back to the drawing board and back to posting; ready to go for the tutorial on face rigging by Vern for the eyes (second possibly third viewing), bowed but not beaten. Resetting bones will have to get round to looking out what I can on that. Thanks again
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

zoesan wrote:Thanks guys, I followed 'release bones' and then Flexi bound...
You're doing it the hard way.

Don't release the layer or points, just select the Head layer and choose Reset All Bone Rigging. This will set it to the default Flexi-binding. THEN use Choose Selected Bones For Flex-binding, Point Binding, or whatever method you want.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks Greenlaw, 'we will get there' not without learning from mistakes though.