Laggingest.
Program.
I.
Have.
Ever.
Ever.
Ever.
Used.

I have to wait 30 seconds just for the program to catch up with me to click a bone and move it.

As you guys can probably guess this means I haven't started any tutorials or learning anything fancy. It's kind of hard to do so when it takes an hour to do nothing.

I did a search on why it could be happening. None of the scant suggestions I have found were of any help.

Sigh.
dueyftw

Re: AS 11 and the lag team

Post by dueyftw »

Under edit:

"Preferences"

General-
Turn off, Enable GPU

Documents-
Turn off, Auto save for crash recovery

See if that helps.

Oh, save work and save often.

Dale
spearcarrier

Post by spearcarrier »

Thank you for the suggestions!

I had already tried turning off GPU with no change. (I also save often, but I have not turned off auto save just yet.)

I also looked up how to speed up Windows 10 and turn off it's background app settings in the hopes that would help.

I also saved my file to a new location.

Increased the cache size.

What's happening is that I'll have normal speed for a while. Then after a few edits it just... gets... so... bogged... down. Or it starts bogged down. Turning off auto save shall be my next try.
spearcarrier

Post by spearcarrier »

I have to ask what difference does enable GPU make exactly?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The GPU stand for Graphic Processing unit.

Why turning it off can help? I don't know.

Dale
spearcarrier

Post by spearcarrier »

Well I knew what it meant. It just seems like having it turned on would speed things up.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

It seem that turning it off helps for all sorts of Moho issues. Why? I don't know.

But all I know is that turn it off seems help.

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's really weird though. Where I work, we use a lot of fairly intense rigs and many large bitmap images in scenes, and I rarely find Moho to be laggy. The program only seems to slow down when multiple characters are in a scene and the timeline gets exceptionally dense with keyframes. Most of the time though, animating it pretty fluid.

Does it do this with every scene, or just a particular setup? Are there CPU intensive features enabled, like dynamics. Dynamics in Moho aren't particularly slow but it can be if it's applied to a lot of bones and multiple characters. Do you have really dense meshes, and a lot of high-res images being deformed? Or is it a relatively simple scene?

If it's the latter, I'd say the problem might be something about your system. Maybe needs a driver update? Just a thought.

If I do run into a laggy situation, I would try to find the element that's slowing down the scene, and then use Quick Settings to reduce the layer's display setting. This way, I can leave the rest of the scene at higher display settings and continue working. That's been very rare though...in the past three or four years I've been using ASP/Moho, I can recall only one situation where I had to do that.

Which version of ASP 11 are you using? I think that last one was 11.2.1. If you have an earlier build, download the latest.

Hope this helps.
mionorz

Post by mionorz »

Hello.
I am aware of the problem.
Files that have multiple target bones and bone lock settings
Obviously the operation slows down.

If these settings are applied to your files please remove them all. And please try the operation.

This symptom exists from the previous version.
You should limit these settings to one. There are at most two.
If three settings interfere, it will be very delayed.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, thanks for the info! I don't use Lock Bones so this might explain why I never see this particular lag.

Actually, last week I did run into an unexplained lag in a scene prepared by another artist, but it was with a specific bone in one character. Animating any other bone in this character was immediately responsive as normal.

I now suspect that Lock Bone was used on that bone (I may have done that accidentally) and I probably applied a Target bone to that character, possibly creating the described lag situation. I'll have to check on that when I get into work today. Thanks for the tip. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Mionorz,
thank for that heads up.
Well spotted!
chucky

Post by chucky »

her suggestion, just in case ...
Spearcarrier, do you have any onionskins on?
I find that they can causes huge slowdowns ( as they show may frames and calculated actions)