Moho, resource consumption problem ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lychee

Moho, resource consumption problem ?

Post by Lychee »

Hello.

I am currently working on a headturn and more I advance on my construction, more the program seems to slow down.
I made a small video starting from the opening of the file, at this time everything seems fluid, but as I enter the smartbones everything turns into a slide show.
This is not the first time I see this problem and I do not know why, but suddenly Moho consumes too much memory or something like that.

Does anyone have any idea where this is coming from?

Best regards

The file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yevgj1hudfm8h ... .moho?dl=0
chucky

Re: Moho, resource consumption problem ?

Post by chucky »

Wow, that's a great looking rig!
It does seem very complex, perhaps that is the reason.
After all it is doing a much more complex task than the screen recording software.
8)
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

At the beginning of the video when I navigate the timeline and when I play with the bone that controls the Headturn, everything remains fluid despite the video recording.

It is after getting back into all the smartbones that everything becomes horribly slow.

Please, do the test with my file to see if it comes from the software or if this bug at my machine level.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I haven't had a chance to look but coincidentally, I had a scene that suddenly slowed down to a crawl in the last hour. In my case, it was because I had too many layers enabled for Timeline Visibility. Once I disabled all the TV check boxes, everything was speedy again. It was probably a specific layer that caused the slow down because I was able to work with several enabled earlier today.

Probably not the same issue with your scene but maybe this will give you some ideas.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Nah, I take it back. It sped up for a bit but now it's slowing down again, even after a reboot. Not sure why...it was fine all afternoon.

Edit: Ok, I see what's happening. The check boxes for Timeline Visibility are back on for some reason. There also appears to be some kind of caching going on. Weird.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, some strange glitch. After disabling the Timeline Visibility boxes again, saving, quitting and re-launching, I found the same the TV boxes enabled again.

This time I unchecked each box and saved the scene each time until all the TV boxes were off. Then I closed and reopened the scene. Now all the boxes are off and my scene seems to be speedy again. There are multiple rigs and a lot of keyframes in this scene so maybe I just had too many layers enabled for TV.

Hopefully, this info helps anybody else running into this one. (It's the first time I've seen this happen.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

No, the problem was not the TV settings...that was a symptom of another issue which was slowing down or interfering with the updated settings.

The problem appears to be a single bone in the scene. for some reason, when it's selected, the scene bogs down to a crawl. It seems to be related to the Translate Bone tool...if I'm on Select Bone or Manipulate, the scene is fast, but as soon as I select Transform Bone, it slows down again. Weird. Fortunately, I'm done animating that bone.

I have no idea why this single bone is causing the scene to slow down. :roll:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Finallly got to check out your video. Wow! That's one crazy rig. Very impressive work Lychee.

I just got home and I'm downloading your file now.

While I was out getting dinner, it occurred to me what might have slowed the scene I was in. I think the bone in question had a vector layer that was mostly using point binding, and I added some points to the layer that were not point binded to that bone, which may explain some of the problems I ran into when animating the bone. Normally, I would have just used layer binding with an element like this but I had not set up this rig so it didn't occur to me that point binding was probably in use. D'oh! :)

Now I'm thinking that because I had to add a lot of point animation to compensate, this bone and layer was placing a ton of unnecessary cpu strain on Moho. I guess I can test that when I get into work in the morning. If this is indeed the cause, I wonder if changing the layer's binding method from Point Binding to Layer Binding, and then removing the point animation 'corrections' I added, will speed the scene up again.

Anyway, the issue with your scene is probably not related because, in the scene I was working on, I didn't notice the memory usage going up, only that the CPU was getting hammered when I selected that bone and used the Transforrm Bone tool.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

When I rig characters using many actions and smart bones on it... my MOHO also is slow... :cry:
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Ok, but what's stange in my rig, it's that work smooth at start and going slow when i enter in the smartbones.
Something goes wrong in Moho.