Help me troubleshoot, please

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stealingfeathers

Help me troubleshoot, please

Post by stealingfeathers »

I have both Moho 12 Debut and Pro.
I use Debut for training purposes, when developing projects for students and creating tutorials.
Of course I only want to use Pro for my own work, but consistently, I find that Pro lags terribly and Debut works great (working on the same project files). I want to track down the reason for this, but I don't know where to begin.

I've already reinstalled the software to see if that helps, but it didn't.

I have a substantial system:
Intel(R) Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz 4.00 GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
Paging file space 13.7 GB

I would be greatly appreciative if anyone can suggest how I might troubleshoot why Debut works smoothly on the same projects where Pro chokes constantly. :-(
obtusity

Re: Help me troubleshoot, please

Post by obtusity »

No great expertise myself, but something I've seen mentioned a few times in the forum:

Edit menu, Preferences, General tab, untick Enable GPU - I know it seems counter-intuitive to take out hardware acceleration, but it often helps (the CPU often performs Moho functionality faster than the GPU). Might want to turn off Touch support while you're at it.
stealingfeathers

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone back and forth with the GPU setting and I'm not sure that it has much effect. A little, I think.
I hadn't tried to disable touch support. Will give that a try.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

stealingfeathers wrote:I have a substantial system:
Intel(R) Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz 4.00 GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
Paging file space 13.7 GB
I don't know if this causes the poor performance problem but your page file size seems unusually huge to me. I think around 5GB is more typical for 32GB of RAM.

My understanding is that a larger page size doesn't necessarily improve performance. When your computer needs to use paging, performance will definitely lag, so if your computer needs to page that much, it's better to just get more RAM.

With Windows 10, I've read that it's best to let the OS manage your page file size. My tablet computer, for example, has 16 GB of RAM, and by default it uses only 2.4 GB for paging, and Moho Pro is very speedy on this computer. (FWIW, I think I've always used the default page size even under Windows 7 and 8.)

I'm not an IT guy though, so hopefully a user who knows more about the subject can weigh in on this.
stealingfeathers

Thanks. I'll reset my paging file. I wondered about it being so high and that's why I included it in my list here. I had it set high because this was recommended for an online game that I used to play. The game was discontinued, so I don't need that size paging file anymore.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure. It probably won't affect Moho's performance on your computer but let me know if it does.

It's so puzzling that Debut is running much faster on your system.
stealingfeathers

It is very puzzling. I've tried all of the suggestions in the replies to me and it doesn't seem to be having much of a positive effect on the problem. I've been having other issues with my PC in the past month. I haven't put a fresh install of windows in 2 years and I think I need to do this. I'm actually on vacation now, so I'll reinstall my OS when I get back home. I'll let you know if that also clears up my issue with Moho.

Thanks again for trying to help out!