Classic Walk Bounce

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Re: Classic Walk Bounce

Post by slowtiger »

Thing is, I really advocate for beginners to learn it the hard way, once. Do it frame by frame, then do it with bones, learn to work from the hips down to the toes when adjusting stuff, because that way you'll get a real understanding of how it works. After that you can use target bones and locked bones and whatever helpful stuff, all day long, but now you know why you use it.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

slowtiger wrote:Thing is, I really advocate for beginners to learn it the hard way, once. Do it frame by frame, then do it with bones, learn to work from the hips down to the toes when adjusting stuff, because that way you'll get a real understanding of how it works. After that you can use target bones and locked bones and whatever helpful stuff, all day long, but now you know why you use it.
Yeah, for learning the basics of animation, I think I'd agree with that. At least starting with bones but not using bone lock or targets. Makes you appreciate the features that save on all the keyframing.
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's a romantic notion, but if I don't need to sail to the mainland when there's an inexpensive air flight, and I'm not sure that appreciating that is a constructive thing.
We have people here who just want to get stuff done and they are asking questions.
I'm pretty sure it would be more helpful to tell them the easy way.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote:That's a romantic notion, but if I don't need to sail to the mainland when there's an inexpensive air flight, and I'm not sure that appreciating that is a constructive thing.
We have people here who just want to get stuff done and they are asking questions.
I'm pretty sure it would be more helpful to tell them the easy way.
Sure...not knocking that. But I think you'd agree that if someone doesn't know how to animate a basic bone rig, without fancy features, they're resulting animation is likely to suffer a bit. So there's two answers. One for speed and one for quality. You know what they say...of getting it fast, cheap, and right, you can only have two. :wink:
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Something I've found inadvertently is that there are a lot more videos and documented training on anime versions pro 8/9, sure you could go retro from Moho 12, but from my viewing, there is a certain amount of enthusiasm in the training material from the earlier versions, obviously a high peak for the software and high creative curve for the content makers: there is one in particular that stands out: Body turn tutorial by Selgin - Gilbert Conception, published in 2011, I could actually feel the joy of achievement from the animator. I'm all for ease in productive workflows, don't get me wrong, but that is some way off for the time being.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

(I'm missing a post here I wrote yesterday. Let's see if I remember.)

I want my students to understand why they should use a certain method. They need to see how the pendulum movement of the legs causes the hips to go up and down, they need to see how, with a fixed hip, the feet go under ground in the passing position. They need to see how the leg rotation rotates the feet and how to compensate that, to get a character firmly standing on ground. Only after this understanding they should be introduced to locked bones and other helpful shortcuts. Do it the hard way once, to understand the mechanics, and then happily use whatever help is provided.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well swingin' the hips without getting bogged down in technicalities is Exactly why target bones are better to learn simply, no matter what order they arrived in the software. IMO
Sayin' :wink:
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

I possibly went a bit off topic in my last post, but it illustrated a learners point of view. As a learner I can say I'm wiser on the 'Classic Walk Bounce' now with one trick/method up my sleeve, which by the way came from the manual, I must say it does have unpredictable results, but results all the same. Whilst on the subject of my off topicness. The story of the Tortoise & the Hare one of Aesop's fables now comes to mind. The hare is very confident of winning, so it stops during the race and falls asleep. The tortoise continues to move very slowly but without stopping and finally it wins the race. The moral lesson of the story is that you can be more successful by doing things slowly and steadily than by acting quickly and carelessly. Didactic or what, just saying,