Classic Walk Bounce

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

Classic Walk Bounce

Post by zoesan »

One thing I had prepped for in my walk cycle was the classic 'walk bounce' by including a bone in waist. But can't get the kinematics to work, tried constraints, the whole figure just revolves, so switched that back to zero. The bone is vertical, parented to thigh, shin, foot, so will try horizontal bone test, can't locate any thing on the subject, so some light would be appreciated.
Just tried horizontal bone and parenting, still the same thing, figure just revolves, something I'm missing, unless this feature not available in anime pro 8, although I'm sure there is a workaround.
dueyftw

Re: Classic Walk Bounce

Post by dueyftw »

Can you post an image of your rig? I don't have 8 on my working computer.

Dale
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

unsuccessful image uploads, I've read the FAQ but so far no joy. Will try later, thanks for reply anyways.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Have a look at this rig:

I always use a root bone with the pivot point where the feet are, so I can rotate the whole character according to the ground (and, in this case, connect a shadow under the character). For this walk cycle I first did the bounce, by translating the pelvis bone up and down. After that I animated legs and arms as usual. You'll notice that because of the pelvis movement the feet willl go under ground, this has to carefully be corrected in the leg and feet movement. The body tilting back and forth is possible with this rig as well, I used that to create different emotions in the walking character.

This is the walk, the bouncing is there, if you look carefully:
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Will look into your rig more closely, especially the root bone concept, just getting to grips with this all: 'health for Andre' (google translate). Great little character.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'll be able to show the whole piece next month.

zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Had a look at jpeg rig supplied by Slowtiger,(many thanks) conducted a few experiments with supplied mannequin file supplied by anime pro 8, the result was the same, still no 'bounce'. I'm positive that from the onset anime pro was designed from the bottom up to feature a method for 'walk bounce',in animation, I personally haven't been able to do so, even gave it a forum search under 'walk bounce' whilst Slowtigers supplied example obviously works well, it didn't resemble what I'd call a beginners manual answer, which I've yet to find, but accept I may have missed . A full figure rig already assembled, with the additional ability to bounce, on feet impact/drop, weighted at the waist, and anchored at the feet.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Zoesan you do realise that the 'bounce' is not automatic?
You have to 'animate' it yourself.
Just follow the principals of animation and add those bounce keyframes into the animation.
The rig does not do it for you.
You see that the pelvis is connected to the root bone? if you move the pelvis up and down then you will get the bounce.
Try harder.

Hang on, just realised , you may be using the wrong tool.
Try 'manipulate' bones , not rotate bones.
That info is in every beginners tip.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks, Chucky and Slowtiger, will try harder just all thumbs and fingers and elbow fatigue viewing and reading references and all.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Well been doing some RTFM(ing) and worked out how to get something resembling a classic walk bounce in Anime Pro 8. You can lock the feet at a frame, and use the manipulate bone tool on the waist bone rigged chain; that brings the rig down as in the classic walk bounce, you have to keep doing it for contact of feet, and from what I can make out you have the makings of the rhythm of a bouncy walk.
chucky

Post by chucky »

zoesan wrote:Well been doing some RTFM(ing) and worked out how to get something resembling a classic walk bounce in Anime Pro 8. You can lock the feet at a frame, and use the manipulate bone tool on the waist bone rigged chain; that brings the rig down as in the classic walk bounce, you have to keep doing it for contact of feet, and from what I can make out you have the makings of the rhythm of a bouncy walk.
As 8 is pretty old, you will be fighting an uphill battle without target bones. Try to upgrade, you will have for greater success .
Actually , not many of us here can remember all tho limitations of V8 I so our responses will be for the more up to date versions. 8 is ancient history.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

It ain't that old I think the release was late 2011, 5 years in technology terms that's old I know, and features I've read up on in later versions is favourite, grasping the fundamentals is what I can do with this version, whilst content is still achievable, and yes target bones would be a blessing in the mix, I've only just come across this software and I'm already doing nearly 30mph down THE MOTORWAY of MOTORWAYS., it could be a British thing.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I have to object, I'm still using v8.2 for 90% of my needs, there's nothing wrong with that version.

chucky

Post by chucky »

slowtiger wrote:I have to object, I'm still using v8.2 for 90% of my needs, there's nothing wrong with that version.
Talking about walk cycles here... 10 percent is a lot and target bones DO help with that stuff a lot.
Also slowtiger , you are an expert and can do a lot more with the limitations, if we look at all the previous questions, targets help all that stuff... specifically.
This isn't about you buddy. :wink: